Steeliess reserved for experienced?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by spicolli140, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Media:
    Home Page:
    Have you seen the rigs used on float rods?
    There is no way that even the stongest fly caster could throw the amount of weight used on float rods, center pins etc...

With that said it is up to the fly caster to manipulate the drift to attain the depths and drift needed to get the strike, not at all an automatic thing it does take skills of its own kind, just like all methods a different skill set. Some anglers have the skills to fish many ways and some take the singular skill set aproach its all good.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Brazda,

You have a point I strongly agree with. After decades of fishing strictly unweighted flies on floating, sinking, and sink tip lines, I learned an amazing amount the first time I tried a weighted fly and an unweighted fly with split shot on the leader off a 10' leader and floating line. It's amazing to me how deep I can get and fish with a dumbbell eyed fly or two BB or one #7 split shot. A lot of presentation control that is unavailable with a sink tip.

Sg

3. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

you can cut and paste this and use it as least 20 times a year on these arguments I'd bet...a centerpin is NOT a fly reel..for christ sakes it's a gear reel and been used for a long time in england and b.c. Wanna argue? I got a couple, it's what I used to fish when I fished gear..If you think it's the only way to free spool then you don't know gear I'm afraid..my calcutta TE worked just as well for that.

When you get to point that while you enjoy gear fishing but your rods start collecting dust..when you as salmo said "time capsule" your thinking and look back on it...you'll find some of us change..attitudes don't....

All new guys to anything can't figure out why old guys are so grumpy...you will, it will happen whether you like it or not...Like any sport or recreation..hopefully the longer you do it, the more skill you obtain and the more you challenge yourself....

I've made my own little journey...A light went off for me this year...I equate it to chironomid fishing..At first I didn't know jack and it sucked..Then I listened to an old guy who taught a class..made my own leaders, foot off the bottom..did what he said..and I started to regularly catch fish..not a lot but consistant...One day I noticed my bobber moving one way and the wind another..I had my line tight enough and did a side strip and nailed that sucker...a light went off that day as well and a few fish became many each time on a consistent basis....
    The same is happening with my swing fishing...You can't skip time on the water...nothing makes up for that..but when the light goes off and you realize that you have been missing something..something that can mean the difference between and odd fish here and not knowing why to catching something and if not, knowing that what you did or how you fished..wasn't guess work but had a purpose...that is the cool thing...and you don't need a meter to Gage it..

4. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Its all good, I agree. My point was, it is much more efficient/effective using a gear rod to get that drift or presentation with the same fly/bait/whatever. There is nothing magical about a fly line presentation vs. a conventional gear presentaion when fishing bobbers. Both float and have the offering down below them on mono or or flouro.

As far as the weight they use.... Some use alot(like some flyfishmen), some use next to nothing(like flyfishermen). I have seen guys with little cork bobbers and stonefly nymphs/jigs do just fine on those longer 11ft-13ft bobber/noodle rods.

5. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Who said centerpins are fly reels?

6. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    Aside from congrats to Spicolli for catching his first steelhead, I think the most important thing to come from this thread is to question why Mumbles doesn't have this:

has his listed location on his profile. :rofl:

7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

That's all good & well , But to peg the coolmeter you must have a tenkara rod

8. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
  9. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Tallflyguy, I've outfished center pin guys as well. It is different. I guess we will just disagree on this one.

Ira..

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Ira , don't be bashing the pinheads they are part of the bobber nation, remember every dog has it's day & I've been waiting 52 years for my day!!!!

11. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    I guess we will disagree, because a fly under a float on a gear rod, is the same as a fly under a float on fly rod. :thumb:

12. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Yep! I have caught five fish on the same day (bouncing bugs), and wishing I had actually caught just two on the swing.

The first time I saw that, I thought you were being a pompous @#$. After seeing it a few more times...:rofl:

One question Sg, ever bury a hook yet in your head? I HATE it when that happens. I mean, ur...if I ever was to use a waited fly. :clown:

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Well played atomic dog, taking your jive turkey recommendation and making that change! Good to read from you again.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I8abug,

No, but I have three pinhole leaks in my rain jacket from "practicing" Spey casting.

Sg