Steffen 7/8wt. 8'6" 4pc.

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by sagebass, Jan 24, 2014.

1. sagebass Member

Peoria, IL
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Here's a Steffen 7/8wt. 8'6" 4pc. rod I just finished: REC Recoil stripping guide; Snake Brand Universal Guides; YLI Chestnut Silk Thread; White tipping; Lemke Seat.

I turned around what would have been an uplocking seat to make it downlocking. To do this, I simply installed the inletted hood into the fighting butt instead of the rear of the cork grip. This allows my 4.6 oz. Abel TR3 to balance this rod at the very front of the grip.

I have not cast the rod yet. We have about 12" of ice right now; but I greatly look forward to it.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  2. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +631 / 2
    Well, you did it again! Exactly what I was looking to do with a down locking with fighting but for a 596 graphite blank. Again your cork matches the diameter of the blank so nicely. I suppose the larger diameter of the fiberglass blank helps this feature a lot on the two rods you have posted recently but it looks so damn sweet!

Now how to get a graphite blank to match the cork diameter so nicely, can it be done?
    Also I was thinking wood insert with strong seat down-locked like this, any problems doing this? Did you use the all alum. because of saltwater applications I would guess? Any other reason not to have wood? Or were you thinking strength with the one piece reel seat. As you see i'm new at this and have only built one rod in 1981 and it was just basic. But these two rod build are are right up my ally.

Thanks in advance.
  3. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    good looking Steffen
  4. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +263 / 0
    Nice! Very inspiring! I'd love to build glass rod, trying to think of what I want to use it for, rivers or salt, small fish or big. Got another rod on the dryer right now! For my wife's birthday! :D Will post pics when done. :)