Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Stench in Feathers?..

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  FinLuver 
#1 ·
I just got a bunch of pheasant capes that smell pretty bad. Anyone got any tricks to get rid of that smell?

#3 ·
There's no meat and/or fat on the feathers. I did get them from a "hunter friend". So just pour some borax in the bag of feathers and let them dry, or lay the capes out in the garage on a flat surface and let them dry with the borax on them?

#6 ·
I second salting the hell out of them. Or drop them in the freezer for a couple of months. I have some capes and hare masks that are funky as hell too. I figure its legit scent for my carp flies :)

But really, if you salt them till they are cardboard stiff most of the funk should leave. Can also soak them overnight in a super salty brine and then dry outside. Should get crunchy.

#16 ·
I tried the Boraxo (a week before I read this thread) on some skins that seemed a bit moist on the "inside" part.

Here's what I did and found...

Laying the skins on a paper towel skin side up, I sprinkled a liberal amount on it, being careful not to get it on the feathers (too much).

After a week (today), I shook off the excess Boraxo into a garbage can and brushed any residue off as well. The skins are dry as a bone. There's no smell from the skin; and BTW the Boraxo didn't have any smell as well.

I put the skins on clean paper towel, skin side down and into a ziplock baggy they went.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.