Steve's Blue Upright

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Olive bugger, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    After a hint from a fellow here on the forums, I checked out Steve Raymond's book titled
    BLUE UPRIGHT from the King County Library. After reading a few chapters I got so interested that
    I ordered a copy for my library from Amazon. Got it for rock bottom price. Anyway, I like the way Steve writes and this book is exceptionally good.

Alas, most of the places he writes about have been hit with change brought about by population growth and environmental changes. But the few fly patterns that he writes about are interesting to read and perhaps to emulate. The one that titled the book is intriguing to me. Blue Upright! In all of my years of fishing and tying, such as my limited skills are, I never heard of the Blue Upright. The description sound like something I will be playing with. According to Steve, the tying instructions are more complex than the actual tying. Think I will see if I can find the materials and try it.

Anyway, the reason for this long document is to ask if anyone out there ln fishing land have tied the Blue Upright and even better, fished it?
    miyawaki likes this.
  2. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +359 / 0
    The Blue Upright, according to Steve, represents the upright spinner form of the Callibaetis mayfly and, while I rarely fish spinners (upright or spent), I have taken a few fish on them (though not on Steve's pattern). I read the book as soon as it was published and was concerned even then by his reference to anecdotal evidence of a serious decline in Callibaetis populations up and down the coast. This coincided with my own experience of the woeful changes taking place at such popular local Callibaetis lakes as Lenice and (especially) Chopaka.

The situation at Chopaka was blamed (probably rightly) on the infestation of illegally-introduced bass at the time was but now, years after its rehabilitation, the Callibaetis hatches remain a pitiful shadow of their former abundance. Hatches lasting more than an hour and so prolific it seemed as if every fish in the lake was up and feeding on the surface were common in those halcyon days. I can remember standing in the boat and not knowing which way to turn and cast because I could hear as many fish rising behind me as I could see in front.

My favorite Callibaetis pattern is still an emerger and fished during the hatch it can be deadly (sometimes a dun imitation can be equally effective). Due to the mayfly's unusual life cycle, spinners are not as readily available to the fish as the nymphs and duns and are only abundant when the females are laying their eggs or dying/dead after having done so.
    Tacoma Red and miyawaki like this.
  3. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +733 / 1
    I found and used to fish Lenice callibaetis spinners many years ago. They may still be on but like I say it's been many years and Preston is right about the decline. There was never anyone else on the water and the fishing was the best I ever had. Here's how it goes: Drive up at late at night if you want to catch a couple hours of sleep, otherwise get on the water as the morning pre-sunrise lights the eastern hills. As you walk in and crest the hill and look down at the lake you should see the trout lazily sipping the spinners just about everywhere. Once in the water, be stealthy and observe. You can find the big fish feeding in a patterns. Cast ahead of one and let your fly sit still. Give a tiniest little twitch to your fly and hang on!

I would love to know if it's still on.

Leland.
  4. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    Since my medical issues for the last few years, I have been reduced to fishing the local lakes. Not near as much fun as a road trip and a sojourn into the wilds of the mountians and canyons of Eastern Washington. Perhaps this will be the year that I break out and become a virgin, again.