Stiff tippet material?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ChucknDuck, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Who makes stiff tippet in the 0x to 2x range. For winter steelheading I normally just buy a few spools of Maxima Ultragreen in 8 to 10lb ranges, but it is too limp for the heavy flies I use. Someone reccommended the Dai-Riki material, and I've tried the Rio powerflex (which is too limp also). I know chameleon is stiff, but doesn't it stick out like a sore thumb? Any suggestions? Thanks
    Dan

2. I use Ultragreen in the 6 and 8# sizes and think it does fine the flies to 3/0 on Tiemco 7999.

If I can't handle that, I tend to go for #15 Ultragreen, which is stiffer.

Typically I built my winter steelhead leaders with a butt and midsection of Chameleon and a tippet with Ultragreen.I have been known with heavily weighted flies to go with just the midsection of Chameleon, but I can't claim for its spookyness, as I haven't caught anything with this arrangement.

3. Thanks TL,
    I use the old stanby of the cameleon butt and midsection also. Just thought it might be neato someday to actually roll over one of the ungainly piles of lead, fur, feathers, and flash I always seem to gravitate towards in the winter.

4. MASON MAKES ABOUT THE STIFFEST TIPPET MATERIAL AROUND... ITS THICK, HEAVY, AND TOUGH... BUT THE ADVANTAGE YOU GET FROM IT BEING STIFF, IS THE FACT ITS LIKE ROPE...

5. I just started out in this type of fishing and I would like to know what/how long of leader to use. I've been using a short leader of only about 3 to 4 feet long. A butt section of about 18" and a 10lb leader of about 2 ft. I was told you need it on the bottom but don't the fish look up not down. I tie weighted flies and use a sink tip. Jim S :DUNNO

6. One material I found to work well with big flies and cold water is Climax Clear Hard Mono. It works espcially great in saltwater as well. Much stiffer than Ultrageen in all lb. tests.

7. I used Ultrgreen in the past but now prefer Chameleon for all my leaders, even trout. I build the whole thing out of it and don't think the trout or steelhead or salmon nor any other fish give a hoot about the color.