Still a little early

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Candelaria, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Eric Candelaria Member

North Bend, Wa
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Spent a few days in Montana this week. The Bitterroot and Blackfoot were a little out of sorts in Missoula area so we headed up to Craig to fish the Mo. Our luck they were letting go about 800-1200 CFS of water over the dam on the north side. The river was a bit cold and visibility was affected. We did manage to bring in about 5 fish each over a full day. Dropping in at Craig day 1 and at the dam day 2. If they stop the spill way it could be a good day.
    Over all maybe another week for the MO if the levels stabalize. But, it looks like the run off may start soon if the temps continue to rise.
  2. Jonnytutu Member

BC/Canada, Kootenays
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    I'm heading down there tomorrow or the next day, and ya, it looks like the bitterroot and streams in that area are already rising and visibility is down which is a shame, i was hoping to beat the early runoff.

On the Mo, is there lots of wading access? I won't have a boat, but still hopeful......

Fin
  3. Eric Candelaria Member

North Bend, Wa
    Waders galor this week on the MO. I think in one turn alone there were 8 partners lined up with each other. I would suggest searching the water level reports on the dam prior to driving up to the Mo and comparing them to the clarity and water levels down in Missoula. They are both on the verge of opening up to some great days before the heavy run off I think.
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    The waters close to Missoula and the water on the Missouri, are 250 miles apart. One has a dam on it and the others are free flowing. How can you compare them areas to each other. One will be clear and one will be dirty.

It shouldn't be to hard to figure which one is which.
  5. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +254 / 0
    The Bitterroot isn't entirely a freestone. The West Fork is a bottom-release tailwater, and the main river picks up a lot of spring water between Hamilton and Florence. This is what makes it such a good winter fishery. The Clark Fork receives a very large limestone influence between the headwaters and Rock Creek. As the water quality improves thanks to Superfund, the fishing there could get crazy good in the future. The Blackfoot is just too gnarly to fish well before mid June.
  6. Eric Candelaria Member

North Bend, Wa
    Definately not trying to compare the two waters to each other, my bad if that was the impression I left. I was trying to give a little information on how the fishing was this early in the seaosn.
  7. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2

Eric, it was good to meet you yesterday! And don't let Old Man give you a hard time. He's the local crank (and a WFF icon as a result).
  8. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    icon... inconsiderate, cranky, old nit-pick... yup :D.
    Lugan likes this.
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    How can you compare skinny water in Montana. There are dams on some and the flow in the winter time is good and most are clear. In the spring the free flowing river are usually high and dirty. The ones with the dams are still clear. I was up on the Beaverhead yesterday. It was gin clear. I was up in the closed section and the river is loaded with fish of all sizes. It makes one want to drool seeing all those fish.
  10. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    That's why they call that the aquarium section.
  11. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    I thought you bought a camera ,so you could post photos of all these fish?
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    You have to have a good lens to keep the reflection down. The water might be clear but where the fish are holding is deep.
  13. Trustfunder Active Member

rock creek
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    The Clark Fork receives a very large limestone influence between the headwaters and Rock Creek. As the water quality improves thanks to Superfund, the fishing there could get crazy good in the future.

Huh? I know it's been a long winter but this reminds me of the spoon fed BS that the missoulian, Clark Fork Coalition and MT politicians have been feeding us. I can say first hand that prior to the superfund experiment, the upper section of this river was as good as it gets around here. The reports of starving eagles and no fish were a ploy to sell the public. It was a federal money grab for non-profits, established private companies and the communities of Butte to Missoula fleecing $135 million. Or what politicians call economic stimulious around here.

Who's lining who's pockets when you research it, one well established company from Missoula does the dirt work, who happens to own a railroad, scoops up toxic dirt that's been buried for 90+ years, relocates it a 100 miles up stream for it to eventually leach back in the river... so did we really solve the problem?