Still an ammo shortage I see...

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Josh, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +513 / 2
    Life has gotten in the way of shooting over the past year or so and I haven't been to the range much. But the wife and I were talking about going this weekend. I reload, but haven't loaded in some time. So I figured I would see about picking up a few hundred rounds at Wally World last night.

But I see that the ammo hoarding paranoia continues and the shelves are bare. Really annoying. Gonna head into the LGS today, but I don't have a lot of faith there as they have always "priced to the market" in a rather steep way. I'd consider running down to Cabelas, but I don't feel like making an hour drive just to get skunked.
  2. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    The big box stores seem to attract the most hoarders. I've had better luck finding ammo at the smaller shops.
  3. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Depending on the ammo you need, Kesselrings had a bunch of .22 ammo a couple weeks ago (give them a call) and I was at Skagit Arms yesterday and they had everything except .22 in stock. Rick
  4. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +796 / 1
    Kesselring's is still your best bet...Mike and I have had real good luck there, even 22's
  5. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,707 / 0
    Dang, and I was just in Skagit Co. yesterday! There are buyers lined up before 9 AM at stores in Thurston Co., and the once to three times a week delivery of 22 ammo is gone at 9:10 AM. Sometimes the stores get as little as 2 boxes (not bricks) in a delivery. All the stuff I got earlier this winter is now in the tree I hang my target on, which leads me to ask: is 22 brass recyclable? Never thought about it in the old days.

Other popular calibers continue in short supply here. The local shop usually has a couple boxes of 9 mm, but not much more. Apparently I was one of those lucky shoppers the day I got the 500 round box.
  6. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    I may run down to Kesselring's this week. Haven't been there since the BATF mess shut their FFL down.

I grabbed a couple of the Skagit Arms RBS reload 9mm boxes from Yeagers. Not a great deal, but not terrible. Yeagers is 100% out of all .22.

Crazy hoarders.
  7. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    So what is really behind this .22 shortage and, if it is hoarders, why are they hoarding .22 ammo?
  8. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    I think its good old fashioned capitalism. It's the simplest explanation that points to the money. Restrict supply to increase demand.

Hanlon's Razor probably applies here.
    orangeradish likes this.
  9. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,034 / 1
    The part I'm interested in is will .22 ammo prices go back down to their original prices once the shortage ends.
  10. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    I sure hope so. I was all hype to buy a S&W 15-22 plinker before the hysteria. Now, I can't see a reason to bother.
  11. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA

You mean a S&W model 17? I'd buy one as it's a good handgun and wait for the ammo to catch up later. I'm seeing more .22 ammo in the stores, not in large amounts though. I want the prices to come down.

The model 15 should be a Combat Masterpiece in .38 if I remember correctly.
  12. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington

While I wouldn't mind a Model 17, the gun I'm thinking of is a .22 AR15 platform:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757786_-1_757784_757784_image

[IMG]
  13. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Lots available on line try www.gunbot.net last 500 rounds I got was through them and saw plenty available there today also.

LB
  14. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
  15. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +613 / 0
    The 22 ammo situation is very discouraging...I do a lot of target shooting with scoped Rugers (several Mark III's, a SR 22 rifle, various 10-22's, and an SR 22 pistol) throughout the winter...often with my grandkids. Great fun...we might go through several thousand rounds each time (they love the 25 round banana magazines). There's now just nothing to be had over here in Spokane, what with all the hoarding. I even quit a long-term membership at an indoor range because of it...after many many months of no ammo and no expectation of improvement, it was just pissing away money for nothing.

The range, which was always a very busy place, is now like a graveyard...I know they had to lay-off staff because of the ammo drought. Very sad situation.
  16. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Its hard to say that the gun industry is risking anything when you see the gun sales numbers over the past year. But I have to think that the lack of ammo is driving people away from sport shooting as a hobby. And that isn't going to be good in the long run.
  17. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    I don't see the "hoarding" thing. Why .22's? Does not make sense.
  18. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +613 / 0
    You're certainly old enough to remember the toilet paper 'shortage' of 1973. With the oil embargo and fuel shortages of the early 1970's still fresh in their minds, a comment by Johnny Carson (a joke actually) about a TP shortage set off a national TP buying frenzy. People bought up every roll they could find, hoarding against the 'shortage' and, for awhile anyway, purchasing TP at a rate far beyond normal TP production capacity.

Producers of any commodity attempt to roughly match production facility output with demand....they don't spend money producing excess product to sit on a shelf in a warehouse where it incurs cost but no revenue. While ammo producers have increased production to attempt to meet demand, they're mostly done so by expanding shifts and workforce...knowing that this demand will eventually collapse, and they can shed employees.

The same bubble is occurring with 22 ammo. With every utterance of politicians, and every shooting that makes the news (on an immediate a massive scale nowadays) people become paranoid about losing access to guns and ammunition.....so, when they begin frantically searching stores for ammo, and find some (sometimes even tipping others off on where they've found some ammo) they buy up everything they can. It's a feeding frenzy.

When a pallet of ammo comes into Wally World, customers are waiting to purchase their limit...within minutes it's gone, which further feeds ammo shortage paranoia.

Sure, there are more guns, but nobody is shooting much, because they're concerned that replacement won't be possible. So...much of the ammo that used to sit in store inventory (being manufactured at a rate closely related to normal demand) is now sitting in homes or in speculators' storage to be sold at premium prices.

At some point, people will have hoarded enough 22 ammo that they finally realize that they're at saturation point (probably when the old lady finds that basement closet containing 5 million rounds) or sees the bank account or credit card being drained to purchase ammo...the bubble will collapse.
  19. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Oh, there have been hoarding episodes as you recalled, but of all of the ammo that someone would hoard, .22 is at the bottom of my list. I've still got power, primers, hulls and wads, a 20 and 28 ga loader, there is no hoarding here.
  20. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Believe it or don't, but .22 is being hoarded. There is very little to be found on the shelves and when you can find it, there aren't any bargains.