stilliquamish river estuary for SRC's

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by M00se456, Mar 5, 2002.

1. M00se456

M00se456 New Member

i was reading the estruary fly fisher and it says the population of cutts in the stilly was pretty high, so i was wondering about trying where it flows into the sound, i just don't know if there are any roads close enough. Has anyone ever fished here, or does anyone think that it would be worth a try. Also when do the fish usually come down the river.

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I have fished the tidal area of the stilly for SRCs in the fall and done quite well. I would think that SRC's will enter the river and act similar to the fall fish, so I would try the areas along Norman Road. Farther down the road, Norman road takes a hard right turn, with a steep revetment down to the river. This is just a little downstream of the start of the tidal section of the river.

I have not found good access to the mouth of the river. If you do, I would love to hear about it.

Rob

3. The timing of the seaward migration of SRC's to the estuaries of south Puget Sound are keyed to the out migration of the chum salmon fry which upon emergence from the gravels immediately head out to the saltchuck. Since the Stilliquamish River has a good run of adult chum and pink(fry also out migrate quickly) salmon, the SRC in that river system should also follow the fry out to the saltchuck as an easy meal. Most of the salmon fry in the Stilliquamish system emerge mid-April through mid-May so that would be the time period to start looking for the main group of SRC moving out into the river estuary.

4. guest

guest Guest

The Stilly is closed from the Warm Beach-Stanwood bridge up stream until June 1st. It is open from the bridge down. I think that the only good access is from a boat. Just my .02 Jim S.

5. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

The farthest downstream access I've found on the Stilly is the boat ramp at Hat Slough, just downstream of the Warm Beach-Stanwood bridge, on the right bank of the river. It's roughly a mile from the mouth. The bank is leveed in that area; I don't know if the levee falls away as you go downstream. I imagine if you timed a trip with the tides (so you wouldn't have to paddle against the falling tide on your way in) you could access the mouth with a canoe, kayak, or other rowing craft (maybe even a pontoon boat?). A two-mile roundtrip hike probably wouldn't hurt any of us, but I don't know if the area is posted. The Gazeteer shows a rough road on the left bank that reaches to very near the mouth; again, I don't know if it's posted.