Stillwater fix in this ice blast?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by golfman65, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,514 / 9
    So are we going fishing? Is anyone headed out in the Kitsap area?
  2. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I've been out on the salt the last few days up North. I was soaked to the the bone one day, and completely skunked the others. Seems like most of the fish are down south, SRC and Coho. Just my thoughts.

I was gonna go check on Teal yesterday, but The Bridge was closed to traffic, so I passed. Good to hear it's starting to thaw.
    -Ethan
  3. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I dunno, I sure catch a lot of sculpins in it though, they must spawn in winter or something ???
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I catch sculpins by letting my junk sit and drop so as to prevent the horrors of a skunking. I't is weak I know, but better to have a sculpin stretch your line a little bit than just beat the water dry all day. I live 2 blocks from the Hood Canal, 2 miles from Eglon Beach, 3 miles from Point No Point, 4 miles from Foulweather Bluff, 3 miles from Twins Spits... I think you get the point. I did some SRC fishing with some Urban Anglers, had a great time, learned some new stretches and missed two hits because I obviously do not know what the heck I'm doing. Practice, practice, practice.
  5. GoDeep "Fish hard and fish often"

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Any word on Teal???? I imagine it's still frozen over. I was hoping to get some stillwater action this weekend.
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I wish I knew...someone here must, so spill it! It has been around 40-42 during the day with some sunshine and much of that lake gets good sun exposure. It has been cold during the day though, so I just don't know.

Ethan, head that way and let us know! Thanks in advance, we all appreciate your efforts.
  7. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    I was gonna go today after my morning run, but then I didn't. I'll check tomorrow and report back. From other bits of water around here I don't imagine its too promising....
    -Ethan
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    We have one of those runoff ponds, still frozen. There is still plenty of salt water to explore and from the reading of reports there is much to be enjoyed, even if the lakes are still frozen over.

Has anyone been to Kitsap, Mason or Jefferson lakes in the past few days?
  9. BROWNTROUT20 New Member

Mill Creek
    Dont know what Pass Lake looks like today but as of Tuesday (12-30-08) it was still frozen.
    It may be better sense the temputure has warmed up.
    Anybody know?
    Would rather not waste the gas if its still frozen!

Pass Lake 12-30-2008 006 (Small).jpg

Pass Lake 12-30-2008 007 (Small).jpg
  10. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Ahh yes, you described october-april for me :beer2:
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    My secret is now out. If I ever return from a beach trip and claim not to be skunked this is the technique I've likely employed. I'm sure I'll take crap for it, but hey, maybe some day sculpins will be the only fish in the sea and I'll have a leg up on how to fish for them and catch the biggest and ugliest of them all.
  12. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    TEAL UPDATE: As of about 1:30 pm today Teal is still locked under about 2-3 inches of ice.
    -Ethan
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Thanks for the update Ethan G., sorry you had to waste your gas to find that out. I, for one, appreciate you passing that along. Did you find anywhere else that was ice free or fishable or did you just end up taking a drive in the country?
  14. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    I just went to check on Teal. It's only a few miles from my house, so I took a detour on the way home, I didn't check any of the other lakes. I think all the ones close to Teal are closed 'til April anyway.
    -Ethan
  15. GoDeep "Fish hard and fish often"

Poulsbo, WA
    Thanks for taking the time to give us an update Ethan. I think there's some warmer weather on its way....hopefully that will take care of the ice.
  16. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Wow... maybe that kids question about pass freezing over a couple of weeks ago wasn't so off.
  17. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +184 / 6
    Lone Lake has pretty much thawed out, no ice that I can see from the road. It has been windy though and on that lake it gets cold with the wind.
  18. Jake Wiltfong New Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Teal lake is still frozen solid. Stopped by there today while I was out in Port Ludlow.
  19. Zane Wyll Member

anacortes, WA.
    The north end of pass is open and the south end and launch are about 24hrs away from being open. Mumbles put your hat back on you look like a freaky Howie Mandel.
  20. SmokinAces Keepin' It Reel

B-HAM, WA
    Thanks for the update on Pass. LoL on the Howie Mandel comment!