Stillwater roadtrip Utah/Wyoming

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by JMitchell, Oct 23, 2010.

1. JMitchell

JMitchell Active Member

Blue-

I can't help with "Da", I's straight gansta and that's how I roll...yeah right. Just repeating what I head quite frequently while residing in the beehive state.

Those fish in Caulder were ridiculous, that is where I busted my five weight and had the rod almost ripped out of my hands a couple of other times.

I will definetely drop you a line before I head out. Any pointers on Henry's would be appreciated.

jarron

2. ribka

ribka Active Member

Henry's- I had good luck with a size 12 micro leech ( black and red) red bead head trailing a size 16 soft hackle midge pattern. Use moose mane for segmented body. Great patttern

White WB's work well there too

3. Blue

Blue Active Member

Caulder has Kamloops, so the 5 weight got what it deserved...LOL Seriously though, sorry about the rod, but Kams are the best.

4. JMitchell

JMitchell Active Member

Yeah, I was definetely under-gunned with my 5. I rarely use it, it's usually my spare rod if I want to carry two different lines ect.

I am sending it in to sage for repair/replacement. i am tempted to ask if they are going to replace, if they don't mind bumping me to a 6. Probably not but we will see. 9'6 6 weight is my next rod I think.

jarron

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Now that is cool. My Trophy Hybrid from Henry's plus many other BIG fish were caught on a 9'6" 6 wt. It was a TL mid flex 7.5 and the best rod I have ever owned. But, I guess someone else wanted the Mojo!!!!
    I now use the newer less expensive Matrix tip flex, no comparison. :-(

6. tippet

tippet hardcore flyfishing addict

Blue,
    What happened to that great avatar you used to have? You ought to let us know a little bit about some of the stillwater opportunities in your area. I have fished streams in Utah such as the Green, the Provo, and the Price river. I really enjoy stillwater fishing and would love to know more about stillwater opportunities down there. I fished Strawberry once 10 years ago and had a great time at Piedmont reservoir just across the border in Wyoming. Sometime I would like to do an all stillwater trip down in that area and would like to branch out a little more. Is it worth driving down to Panguitch, Minersville, or the Boulder mountains. Are there several good lakes in Northern Utah?

7. Blue

Blue Active Member

All the lakes are great, and the BOULDERS are like a touchy subject here. Some guys are very secretive about it and get a little anal if the name is even brought up. Panguitch, Minersville are going FANTASTIC.

Jordanelle is putting out some killer browns and BASS. Like pulling a football up.

You come out here to do a Stillwater trip, better through Idaho in there too. Allot of Kamloop lakes up there.

8. tippet

tippet hardcore flyfishing addict

Blue,
    Thanks. If I do a Utah trip, I will probably hit Daniels on the way down. The lakes in Eastern Washington and Southern BC are so good, I find myself making fewer and fewer trips out of the area. This is a trip I do need to do sometime, though.

JMitchell,
    Thanks for the great report! You have got me fired up to travel that direction again. It will be a tough decision whether to go to Utah/Southern Idaho/Southwest Wyoming, or go to the Cody,WY area where the combination of great streams and great stillwaters is hard to beat.