Stillwater with floating line

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jake Tucker, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    No, because the fish pulling on the end of the line keep me awake!

Seriously. It can be an absolutely incredibly effective way to fish, more than you would ever imagine. At least it was (and is) for me.

Let's do it some time. :thumb:
  2. the central oregonian Member

Terrebonne, Oregon
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    The optimum idea would be to buy a full sink line, if not possible right now then try a sinking poly leader or weighted flies or split shot on your leader. And yes chironomid fishing can be so effective it should be illegal
  3. Hoots really board

Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've fished plenty of times on lakes with a dry line. I'll bring various sinking lines along but find myself fishing the floater most the time. Some of the best lake fishermen I know don't even bring a sinking line with them on the lake. Don't get me wrong, intermediate and full sink lines will open the playing field but, when the waters cool, fish tend to come up into a higher water column to feed. On the other side of the mountains I catch plenty of fish in 3'-6' water(when the water is nice and cool. Not summer) Do your research and you'll find how to ply the waters with that floating line.
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Let's do it then! Hell, I may not even have more than two or three chironomid patterns. I did fish a local lake, saved lots of gas, used my 3wt, floating sharkskin and dries/emergers and enticed enough fish to keep me interested. I'm convinced that there are in fact stupid fish out there that will rise to slurp or slam even my offreings. I'm not up on entimology, doubt that I can match the hatch and my presentation probably sucks too, but hey, I'm learning. What I'm learning most is that bait fishermen still fish with bait in single barbless baitless locations and it was funny to see and hear them get upset that I caught more fish than the two of them combined. Oh, I also left a message at the WDFW message line with a very good physical description of each of them, their vehicle make, model, plate, wild ID# on their mirror tag and of course date, time and location of their bait fishing violation.

It did rain off and on, and when fishing dries or slime layer flies in the rain you really have to pay attention. Raindrops and fish slurps can be confusing.

Anyway, all that said, why not fish floating lines and dries or just subsurface? I never used my intermediate sink line the whole time out there, and I caught enough to keep me busy.
  5. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    I was fishing an Eastern Washington Lake with a floating line, catching plenty of stockers 8 to 12 inches. The old guy I was fishing with put on a fast sinking line and was fishing deep. He was catching hold overs from 15 to 20 inches. I switched to sinking line and started catching hold overs. Often the really big fish will cruise deep and do not visit the surface as often as the smaller ones. Even stream fishing works the same way. About five years ago I was drifting the Yakima and a guide he told me not to bother with a sink tip. I had two rods with me. Most of the time I fished the floating line and did well, but my biggest fish were taken when we probed the really deep holes with a sink tip and a big wooley bugger or muddler. My guide learned a lesson that day, fish two rods, hit the big deep pools with big streamers and you'll see a difference in the size of fish you catch. Big fish often feed different and stay deep.

Keith
  6. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I just fished an intermediate for the first time last weekend. I did not think I "needed" an intermediate until I tried one.

Went right out yesterday and bought my own intermediate. BTW Orvis has a $25 off a $50 purchase coupon right now that makes buying a line a great deal. They will generally honor the coupon even if you don't have one, just tell them you would like the deal if that's possible.
  7. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Hey Mumbles,

You gotta get into chironomid fishing. I think watching an indicator is kind of like watching a dry fly. (fish even hit indicators!...think it's powerbait??) Sometimes the fish want the presention dead drifted and other times a slow hand twist retrieve works. A little breeze puts action on the chiro's. The way I set up is to use two diff. colored chironomids and put your hemo's on the bottom fly, toss it overboard and set your indicator so it's one foot under water. This puts the bottom fly one foot off the bottom, a good starting place where these bugs are active. If you got your fish finder and you see more fish higher in the water column, set the indicator closer to the flys as this will bring the chironomids closer to the surface. Make sense?? Also a valuable tool is a throat pump. The first fish caught (over 14") I take a sample of what they're eating. Don't insert the tube too far, (better for the fish and the bugs are still alive in the throat) and you can see and match the chironomids they're chompn'----FISH ON!!
  8. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Word.