Stimulator

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by mike doughty, Apr 1, 2005.

1. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Please critique it, it is my first and would like to know your opinions. body to fat, wing to thick, not hackled enough, naturalt deer hair better represents the natural, etc.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I'm no judge but I would say that your hackles are to long. Should be more along the size of the hook. One question,have you ever looked upon a picture of one??? If no go to westfly and see one. :p I think that hackles on this type of fly make all the difference in the world.

Jim

3. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    I looked at a picture of one and actually the hackles look about the same length as mine.

4. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Personally Mike I would say make your hackle "bushier". But that's coming from someone who doesn't tie a stimulator. I always stick with the sofa pillas, it's the Idaho in me... :)

5. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Media:
    Mix in a little Grizzly with your hackle that will thicken it up a bit.

6. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
  7. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    my input.....use the word "too" instead of "to" :p :clown:

So, how's the reel treatin ya?

8. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wow, thanks for the valueable input patrick, you are amazing. as for the reel, i don't know, my rods are strung up laying acrossed my couch waiting for someone to call and say let's go fishing. not haying a car is getting old quick. bawling:

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Good grief. The puncation police are back. And lookie I can't spell that big word the starts with the letter "P" :beathead: :beathead:

Jim

10. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    :p The "puncation" police......hahahahahahahahahaha Never heard of pun-cation?? :p

Ah Mike, I'd be more than happy to pick you up and hit the water, if ya didnt live so far away.

As for the pattern, I'd taper the hackle a little more......but that's just my own personal taste and I typically do not fish dries so I wouldnt listen to myself if I were you..

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Punctuation,punctuation,punctuation. I looked it up in a dictionary. So who cares if it is spelled right. I also said I couldn't spell the big words. So there. :p :p :p :p :p

Jim

12. dude_1967

dude_1967 Chris

Mike,

First of all, I think your stimulator will work just fine in situations calling for the pattern.

I'm no expert but I would suggest a few things:

The palmered hackle on the body should be less dominant. Use a finer hackle with dry-fly grade, maybe grizzly or some other light color. Tightly rib the body and palmered hackle with a very fine copper or steel wire for added strength. The winding direction of the steel ribbing should be opposite to that of the palmered hackle. The head area is crowded by the hackle. One important element of the stimulator is the contrasting color combination body with head, light yellow and dark orange (or any sensible contrasting color combination for that matter). The color contrast is not strikingly visible enough in your pattern due to the dominance of the hackle in the head area. The wing could be a tad longer and it looks like the wing and tail hair could be more evenly stacked using a simple hair stacker or using the stacker more effectively.

Still, a nice pattern.

Sincerely, Chris.

:thumb:

13. Michael Brady

Michael Brady New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    A good variation to the stimulator is throwing in krystal flash in the tail and wings. The first stimulator I was introduced to was tied this way, and was tied by one of the northwest's finest fly tyers, LeRoy Hyatt. (I caught a 24 inch westslope cutt on the first cast with the fly.)

14. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    i've recently started putting some frystal flash as an under wing on the stimmies, adds a little somethin, somethin

15. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Take it to your favorite river, if it catches fish then it's tied right. take some pictures of the fish with it in their mouths, post 'em on this site, then give it a name and call it your own variation.

Then of course people will be trying to tie it the same way you did ;) we are all fly whores. :rofl:

LB

16. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

It's pretty good for a first try. I'm sure it will fish. If you want it to be "correct," I can make a few suggestions.

The wing is tied too far forward, not too much, but enough to make the front hackle look too long. It's the hardest part to get "right" on a stimi, at least for me. The head wants to be long enough to palmer four turns of hackle, far enough apart that it has a ribbed appearance. On yours (which looks a lot like most of mine) you're hearing a nagging voice telling you it's not quite right, but you can't quite put your finger on it. When the head is the right length, you'll go, "yeah, that's what a stimulator looks like."

A lot of chaps will tie the heads too long, with the wing mounted about mid-ships. I don't like those so much, but they do tend to look "better" than the ones with the heads too short. I would say that the proper proportion should be about 2 to 1 (body-head); yours looks about 3 to 1. The body hackle can be a variety of colors (usually brown) but I believe the head is always grizzly. When you're sizing the hackle, try going down a hook size or two. The pattern calls for hackle a little on the short side anyway, and you are palmering it around a built body several times larger than the hook shank.

RK designed the fly to be tied on curve-shanked hooks, He uses TMC 200s, but I hate that damned hook; the 2312 is a good substitute, and will actually hook fish. The curved shank does give the fly that graceful, signature profile. The tail should be short and cocked slightly up, and the wing ends should roughly match the tail ends (your tail and wing look good to me).

I hope this doesn't all seem too churlish. You asked for critique. And of course these suggestions are only for if your trying to tie them like Randall does. If all you want is for the thing to float upright and catch trout, I'd say you're about there.

17. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    I appreciate the input, of course i want it to float right and am trying to tie the best looking fly i can so critiques are invited.