Stinger Hook, Up or Down and Why

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Coug84, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Coug84 Go Cougs!!!

Seattle, Washington
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I've heard that some anglers set the stinger hook up to hook the upper lip but I've also heard from other anglers have it facing down to keep it from hooking the eye. Your thoughts???
  2. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    Wow...I feel stupid for having never thought about this before. Interested to hear the reasons and why myself.
  3. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Up on all patterns, but especially important on clousers in my opinion.
    Blake Harmon likes this.
  4. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +906 / 1
    For almost 15 years, I have tied my poppers with the hook up and I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of very very small fish that have impaled their eye. Bigger fish turn down and away with the fly and a strip set puts the hook right in the corner of the upper jaw every time.

Leland.
    Duane J, Ed Call and Luke77 like this.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,543 / 9
    Some years ago I asked and this was the answer. Great advice then and it has worked for me in my limited fishing experience!
  6. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I haven't been tying stinger hooks on my flies, but I've always installed single siwash hooks on my plugs with the point up, after clipping off the trebles. My thoughts were to help prevent the plug from snagging up. The few stinger hook flies I have were store bought, and I can't remember offhand which way the hook is oriented.

Seems like there's the chance for a down-point stinger hook to catch in the gill rakers or tongue if the fish really inhales the fly. I've had that happen with regular streamers tied on 4x hooks.
  7. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +355 / 1
    I have always tied them up mainly to avoid the tongue. I don't know if that works but I do know that most of the fish I have caught have been hooked in th upper jaw or corner of the mouth. With a weighted fly, it also keeps the hook from dragging bottom and either dulling or breaking the hook point. Just my two cents.
    Duane J, Ed Call and Blake Harmon like this.
  8. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Hook up seems to catch less salad, as the hook passes in the path cleared by the leader.
  9. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    +100 for hook up.
    if you try fishing the river with hook down it will become very clear why up is it.
  10. Gray Ghost Member

Flowing Waters
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I'm with everybody else, hook up.

Pros:

More snag less. Better hook up ratio into upper jaw, corner. Less mortality for fish that are released.

Cons:

Non that I can really think of.

GG