stocker trout

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rockfish, Apr 30, 2003.

1. have been trying to catch these things in my tube lately in a hike in lake and just normal lakes and cant buy a fish. been using wooley buggers in olive and black and carey specials, basically flies I read you guys talk about using. been letting it sink and slowly retrieve it with zero luck. 0-3

what retrieve and depth and pattern do you guys use in pressured lakes full of gear chuckers trolling wedding rings? been catching perch thou fishing for trout

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

2. Last two mornings went up to a local lake that fits the discription and trolled wooly buggers in my canoe.

Yesterday in the rain, used a #8 olive body/black tail on a clear intermediate 13' sinktip. Caught about 10, and had tons of hits. Last was a 15 1/2", the biggest and not a bad fight. I released all the stockers that were easily unhooked and went home with 5. (Did same today, now getting ready to fix a dinner that will probably taste like liver. Also brining and smoking some tonight).

Repaired the chewed up fly last nite and lost it on a viscious strike first thing this morning. Put on an all black #8 bugger and lost a few, then started bringing more to hand...total about 7, the biggest 13", only a couple under 11". Slower action today, but not bad. All were "put 'n take" bows, except for one fiesty little 6" cutt.

I cast and did a slow erratic retrieve once and hooked up, but bein a semi-old lazy dog, I trolled my fly in a large "S" with about 50' of line out and 10' of leader using slowest MinnKota endura 30 speed.

Yesterday saw one other guy flyfishing, using a large indicator and hand-twist retrieve, but he seemed to want to fish in solitude, so I didn't bug him. I could see that he was hooking into alot of fish, though.

Jimbo

3. I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I'm having the same problem at a put and take lake by Marysville. Getting tons of hits but no takers. Fished it two days in a row had about 40 hit and only brought 10 to hand. But my fishing is improving,last year it sucked.I'm using a floating line 12' leader, with a thin mint bead head leech pattern. Many colors will get hits,but no fish to hand. I even sharpened my hooks and still no hook ups. I must be holding my mouth wrong.

Jim

4. The trick that has improved my take on fish has been using anywhere from a 1 to 4 inch repeated strips while trolling in my floattube. Larger the fly, longer the strip. What is most important is allowing the fly line (thus the fly) to fully slide back out of the guides. I know that sounds obvious, but it's important to entice the fish with the short hard strip and to allow the fly to stall long enough for the fish to strike. Last year at Pine Lake, a few days after the opener, I cleaned up big time while trolling around the bait and hardware chuckers. I reveled in the dirty looks! The same method worked at Lone Lake last weekend.

5. You may be fishing too deep if you are allowing it to sink. Freshly planted fish will usually stay in the top 6ft of water for the first few weeks. I mainly use a type 3 full sinker and begin retriving or trolling as soon as it hits the water. I have also noticed that when using wooley buggers and careys they tend to like a faster retrieve. A slow retrive should be ok though as long as you have a floating or slow sinking line.

Just using buggers and leeches near the surface this year on a local put/take lake, I have outfished all the power bait chuckers and chain trollers around me. If anything their presence will just shy the fish away from shiney lures and noisy boat motors, making it easier to get them on a fly.

6. These tank fish will be getting very hungry about now and they are probably less spooked so things should turn for you. Try a tiny dry fly (black is best) and about two feet below that tie on a chironomid, size twenty. Let this float for awhile because it's easy to tangle up. Avoid this rig in a wind. Throw an open loop so the flies stay clear of the top of your leader. It's hell to fish at times but it can be deadly. That and bobbers and leaches is about all I do now.
    Bob:thumb

7. stocker trout for the Old Man

Hey Jim:
    Sorry I didn't get down to see your antics at Sun Lakes, what I heard sounds a little like some of our outings over here on the DrySide. Always has to be one or two!! Seriously, if lots of hits with few takers is your problem you might try a little sparser tie with shorter tail. I think you're getting short strikes, those stockers are used to pellets and not working for food. The carryovers are a little more agressive IMO.

8. Yeah, stockers are weird. Last year I got stumped and I thought, "Dude, they don't even know what a hatch is." When I realized that, I decided not to match the hatch, but to attract their attention. So I pulled a bluegill fly out and tore it up:

Hook: Size 8-10
    (no tail)
    Body: Fl. pink chenille
    Collar/legs: White rubber extending in 4 60 degree angles from the eye.

Done.

Strip this thing around in the mid water column and have fun.

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)

9. "I must be holding my mouth wrong."

Im willing to bet thats not the only thing your doing wrong }(

I find that a slow troll with buggers of almost any color usually work, if you like to fish this way?? I dont usually go much more than 9 feet of leader/tippet and about 40-50 feet behind the boat. Good luck.:thumb

~Patrick ><>

10. I cleaned up on Pine Lake for about 2 hours this past Monday on hatchery clones and even a couple of browns (13" - 15") using a 10 foot sink tip with a pattern I tie specifically for planters. Kind of a cross between an olive woolley bugger and an olive "krystal flash" leech on a size 8 long shank hook (can't remember the model number but it's a mustad). It's got lots of flash with very little substance (kind of like the crowd I hang out with!). Body is wrapped with marabou, Krystal Flash and gold wire. Tail is more marabou and Krystal Flash. That's it. Takes about 30 seconds to tie.

If you're getting hits but not connecting, shorten the tail. Works every time!

11. I agree with BOBLAWLESS's earlier post--if you're not finding success on buggers, and you've got some dandy suggestions on patterns and technique, try switching to another method. I personally don't enjoy chironomid fishing much, but I've swallowed my pride more than once when guys around me were getting hammered by big fish on a #20 kelly green midge. You might even try attaching a midge to your bugger as a dropper and see if that brings some action--has worked for me on several occasions where a bugger alone failed.

:beathead

12. I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I don't see how I could be too deep as I said a floating line. But I'm not in a float tube I'm in a pontoon boat with oars. I tried to do it with fins but could get no takers. I'll cut down the tail some and see if that helps. It seems that with the fins I move too slow? This last sentence is a plea for help.:p

Jim

13. No Oars Jim!!

The bad thing about oars obviously is the fact that you cant feel if you get a strike cause your rod is not in your hand, rather in the rod holder....plus the tip of the rod is probably riding at a different heighth than it would be if it were in your hand :dunno :dunno ..Im sure you know all about this since you have been around before flyfishing was even invented :p

~Patrick ><>

14. RiverFishing

I don't know if this helps but will offer it nevertheless. I was down in the Tucannnon lakes area last Friday fishing Big Four, which is a small, fly-fish only lake stocked (as I understand it) annually with smaller trout and a few brooders from the nearby hatchery. There's no bait/gear pressure but by the time I left there were a dozen flyfishermen.
    My most consistent success - but smaller fish - was had using a floating line, a stimulator as a strike indicator, and a Teeny nymph about three feet below. Once the nymph had time to suspend, I used a slow retrieve and hooked five of eight takers - none exceeding 10". However, I got one 18' to come up and hit the stimulator who sulked her way along the bottom until I had her almost at hand.
    That kind of action (if you want to call it that:dunno )
    lasted for about an hour, when I switched to woooly buggers and got more responses, but found I also missed a lot of the takes, though one I did bring to hand was a nice 15".
    I'm thinking another poster may be right there - the wooly buggers may be over-dressed and so I was getting a lot of short strikes. In bass fishing (which is where my roots are) some guys overcome that with a second hook buried near the tail of the lure - called a stinger. I've never tried it because I was too lazy and wanted to make other adjustments, but that's one thought - which maybe isn't even legal under selective gear rules, anyway.
    If any of this helps, I'm glad to offer it. Good luck!

Mike :thumb

15. In retrospect, maybe the reason why I seemed to hook up a higher percentage of strikes as the morning wore on was due to the "short strikers" chewing off the trailing end of the marabou tail. By afternoon, the tail was chewed down to about half its original length.

I was also imparting a little jigging action at times as I trolled along, to make the marabou pulsate...I practiced with the bugger close to the boat until I had figured out the wrist motion that generated the fly motion I wanted.

A comment on Boblawless's comment that these stockers should be getting hungry by now: Over half the 'bows had empty stomachs. Maybe too many free lunches had left them a little retarded in the food-getting game. The others had caddis larvae/casings in their stomachs. One had a male alder cone in there as well, probably mistaken for a caddis casing.

A stinger hook, where legal, sounds like an effective approach, but the way I cast, it would probably just hook my line or leader while I was flailing out my wind-knot plagued cast and result in undesired "expletives."

Jimbo

"The true purpose of a flyrod is to prevent its bearer from being arrested for vagrancy." - Sparse Grey Hackle

16. I had the same experience last Sunday. My go-to fly on stocker trout is a sz 10 olive carrey special. Got two hits and no fish to the boat in two hours. On my way back to the launch, an older gent was just making his first cast. I pulled up along side and told him of my skunking. He was rigged with a full floater, 10' leader and a sz 10 tan chironomid. I was using a type III full sink. His technique was to make a long cast and just wind drift. He had three in by the time I was packing my raft into the truck. I hadn't even bothered to bring a floating line . . .:beathead

17. I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

I guess it pays sometime to listen to the older people. We seem to know a little bit about fishing. Please notice I said a little.

Jim

18. Interesting comments. Fished Pine opening day to the usual screems of joy from small children, the parties along the shore, watching folks in 17' boats with 200hp outboards drag three feet of shinning metal to seduce 10" trout and the rest. I have alwasy found the fishing gets better mid day for the stockers. Saturday it was 12:30 when the bite really turned on (didn't get to the lake until after 9, which meant I could park very near the launch!) Then it was nonstop for an hour and a half. Must have landed 40 or so, with the triploids one out of ten, about matching the plant ratio. Found that a full sinking line, 10 foot 6X floro leader and a home tie Hale Bopp did the trick. Got less strikes on shorter tail, hooked more of the strikes on shorter tail. Best action was to cast, let sink for a time, then strip in quickly with one foot pulls. Takes are on the pause. In a few weeks, the fish will start to act like real fish, and the usual lake stuff works better. There are some really nice fish in there. Got four browns, rainbows up to 17.5", and a lot of boats following me around.

I am also a great believer that the rod can make a big difference in hooking fish in a lake. I really like the Loomis GLX, which has power from the base, is fairly fast, but has a very soft final tip. I noticed a higher hook up percent when I switched a few years ago, and that goes for Nunnally, Dry Falls too.

Put and take (or release) has its place; close to home, a ritual, good exercise for the legs, brain and heart.
    Tight lines,
    Ronbow:D

19. I was up at lake 16 on tuesday after work and couldn't keep the fish off my fly.Fish were rising and jumping all over. Did the limit thing in about 5 minutes, released dozens more and had more strikes and missed fish. Just stripping in a size 8 green carry fly rather fast. All the fly guys out there that evening using flies on top did good. Now I went back there last evening and didn't get a hit, nada, zip, zilch. A couple of fly dudes fishing with sink tips did okay but nothing like the day before. The hardware and power bait people didn't do much better either. Pretty strange the difference in just one day would make.

20. Also it can make the diffrence in the time of day or the weather. Fished Rattlesnake for 5 hours only one bite trying a floating, a slow sink and a fast sink and 7 or 8 diffrent lake paterns. Then I caught and release at least 24 fish in the next 4 hours and missed many more due to short strikes. The diffrence was the wind coming up and the clouds moving in with a couple of rain sprinkles thrown into the mix.