Stocking a Steelhead fly box

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Mike S, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Mike S

Mike S New Member

I am new to the area, and looking at heading down to the Toutle later this month for Steelhead.

I would like to stock up on a selection of flies, are there certain patterns and sizes that would cover most fishing conditions?

There is a local person that ties and will stock me up very reasonably, just need to provide him the shopping list,

thanks,

Mike

2. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Mike,
    I would suggest that you use the search feature on this board; think that you will find tons of suggestions on summer steelhead flies. Have fun.
    John

3. PT

PT Physhicist

4. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Steelhead?????

Didn't you know this was lamprey country?

Nothing that swims in these rivers hits so hard jumps quite as spectacularly as a lamprey.

The tug is the drug as they say.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Why is it when somebody new asks for help, all he gets is a ration of shit. Just give him a few hints as what to use. Try using Wooly Buggers and some tied up with Marabou.

These flies come in many colors, but Black and olive are good choices.

Boy, I'm glad that I'm not new to here because I sit here wondering what kind of answers I would get to the many questions I would ask..

Jim

6. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Don't listen to the oldman. He hasn't caught a steelhead since Truman was in office. Leech like patterns, non-weighted with 10 to 15 feet of leader on a floating line. Don't worry, they will come up to get it if they want it. Purple or black when the water is clear and cerise if the water has low vis. Now go fish.

7. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Ah, I don't think anyone gave him shit Jim. I think they were just pointing him in the right direction to find more than enough information on what he seeks. This does get asked and discussed alot, and this thread will probably take off and be six pages long anyway, but now he knows to try a search, and he'll have plenty of reading to help him on his way. That's why there's a search function in the first place.

8. HauntedByWaters

You must be referring to my post.

I didn't think what I said was a "a ration of shit".

I am pretty sure the poster knows that I wasn't actually referring to lampreys.

9. PT

PT Physhicist

10. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Ok, I’ll add to my first post. Here’s my, and probably no one else’s, go to fly for steelhead on the Cowlitz and Kalama. Called a Matt’s Fur. Size 6 or 8. Black or brown articulated leach would be my #2 choice.
    John

Attached Files:

11. HauntedByWaters

Looks good!

I have had a lot of summertime success with big nymphs like that on many PNW rivers around here.

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

In summer you really can't go wrong with a purple peril. Great fly under all light conditions. Spruce it up with a little flash and you're playing.

13. purple egg sucking leech with flash. :thumb:

14. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

For a starter kit of standard patterns, I'd start with a Purple Peril for a dark, a Skykomish Sunrise for a bright, and Walt Johnson's Deep Purple Spey for a medium. Mostly in No. 4, a few larger and smaller. Add a No. 10 standard trout nymph for when they won't take anything else, and an unweighted No. 6 Muddler Minnow for your first dry/skater.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I just love it when a plan comes together.:ray1::ray1::ray1::rofl::rofl:

Jim

16. Mike S

Mike S New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, and a bit of humor.

My bad for not using the search function, but I am sure you all know how it goes, you get excited about a day on the water, you want to go NOW, and so you ask a question that has likely been asked many times.

I did go back and search, and read all the posts, sounds like several key factors, color, personal
    'confidence' in the patter, and luck.

I will get my base stock and go from there, will let everyone know how it goes,

Mike

17. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I remember my starting out for steelhead in WA, I was overwhelmed too. By the time I left, I had TWO different patterns in varrying colors that I used. And neither was a "proper" established pattern; just me putting something together that I thought looked good.

18. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Something unweighted and weighted (bead chain and dumbells), in purple, black, pink and take your pick of yellow, red, orange, or a combo of and a subdued pattern ( The burlap is a good one) plus a nymph and a skater to round it off. A low water pattern or two would top it off nicely. These low water flies can Perils, Brad's Brats or whatever tied low water or even Blue Charms or Atlantic salmon type low water wets. Read Trey Combs' books, (or Deke Meyer or Dick Van Denmark, or anybody else) and pick away. Steelhead flies can be fished with some thought and help hook fish, but overall, they catch us, not the fish. Basic colors in different sink rates, plus a few nymphs, low water wets, and a skater or two will set you up nicely for the summer. Another good overall weighted pattern is a purple floozy, but once again, I like the pattern, and that's why I have caught a bunch of fish with it. If you believe in what you tie on your tippet, the steelhead will believe also. Confidence in what you fish is a big part of this game. I went a whole summer with a purple fly and an orange fly (same tie in different colors and sink rates) and did as well as when I had a box of everything. Purple has always had a little extra magic to it for me in summer. Good luck to you and I wish you a great summer of chasing a very special fish. Tight lines Coach

19. Preston

Preston Active Member

A summer fly that I would not be without is the Spade. Perhaps better suited for low summer flows (though I've done well fishing it in higher, late spring/early summer flows on a sink tip), I tie it in 6, 8 and 10, usually on a light wire hook. I like to add a little brightly-colored dubbing for a butt (the orange-butt version is sometimes called the Dean River Spade). Over the years, the green-butt version has probably been the most successful.
    It can be fished on the swing with either a sinking tip or floating line, but my favorite way to fish it greased line style with a floater.

20. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Tie a size 6 and 8 prince BH or no, doesn't matter