Stocking a Steelhead fly box

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Mike S, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    A little story about steelhead fly patterns. When I first began trying to unravel the mystery of steelhead fly fishing - before the internet, and the only books on the subject were already out of date, and hardly anyone in a fly shop knew didly about steelhead fly fishing - I picked up a few steelhead flies from my local shop. Then I tried tying some flies myself. Not just any flies. I figured the ones I tied had better be "EXACT" replicas of the ones I bought, or otherwise steelhead might reject them as not being "proper" or "real" steelhead flies.

Fast forward a couple seasons, and I understood that steelhead will readily hit a hook with a small piece of red, orange, or any other color yarn tied to it. So I tied flies with whatever materials I wanted, in whatever colors I wanted, etc. They all work. Steelhead aren't very sophisticated. Day in and day out, fly pattern is the least of your worries. If anything matters, size will matter long before pattern does. Occasionally bright patterns are not the answer. Flies with action sometimes appear to produce better than flies without it, and then again they don't.

Anytime you find yourself hung up about your steelhead fly pattern, just know that you're not focusing your energy on solving the problem of finding a steelhead and inducing a strike. Refocus.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

2. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Think of it like a cat with a string...

The cat doesn't want to eat the string, but it will certainly "hit" it if you make it behave correctly. The size and color isn't as important as getting it down to where they can play with it.

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    That is the best analogy there is as I've used it several times. "If you make it behave correctly" is key along with the confidence factor.

4. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

You guys are right but I have to add that even more important than behavior is reading the water, weather, conditions, visibility, so you actually know where in the river to "make it behave correctly". :thumb: I know you know that, I am typing this for the original poster BTW.

5. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    True enough, you have to fish where the fish are.

6. Mike S

Mike S New Member

Funny how things all come together. Whoever posted about the Lamphry, I was just watching an old Gary Borger video about stream preservation and he mentioned Lamphries as a major problem in the Great Lakes in the 70's. He showed some photos of them.... Ugly things.

Mike

7. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mike - just stop by my place and I'll show you the flies that work around here!

Jason