Stolen Rod...in the mail

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Michael Morris, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Michael Morris

Michael Morris Member

So I recently purchased a Sage Z-Axis 8'6'' 5 WT off a member on here, with tube and warranty card. The package arrived today as it was expedited from Canada by the seller, which I am thankful for, however to my surprise the package was empty. All I was left with was a empty paper sleeve...

Good news is from the weight of when the package was shipped to when it was received I know it was actually shipped, I have no reason to believe the seller screwed me over...

Bad news is sounds like you can't trust the mail men these days. I am not sure at which stage the rod disappeared, as its impossible to tell unless I had the weights as to everytime it was scaned to a new location (which they might do, IDK).

All I know now is I am bummed and hoping to get my money back as I had to file a claim through Paypal...maybe I should restate that, as I am now furious.

Anyone have this happen before ?

Attached Files:

2. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Paypal isnt going to help you much if it was all there when the sender mailed it, did you have shipping insurance on it?

3. Michael Morris

Michael Morris Member

The seller did insure it.

Kcahill and David Dalan like this.
  4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

your golden, you will just have to fill out the paper work to collect your cash

5. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Sorry to here about this. I am a former US Postal manager. We usually have very honest and contentious employees. If the packaging was damaged in anyway or appeared to be tampered with, check with your delivery station to see if it is in the "loose in the mail section" or "Nixie" at the processing facility at the Seattle Priority Annex in Kent or Seattle Processing Center in Tukwila. The attached label appears to be a routing tag which means it flew by air as first class or Priority or express.

Tacoma Red likes this.
  6. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Never had that happen with the mail before. But we've had quite a few items disappear from our airport luggage.

7. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Any chance it has a serial number? If so you may want to check ebay. I would also post the serial and notify Sage.

8. Michael Morris

Michael Morris Member

I am not sure since I never had the pleasure of holding it...ill ask the seller, so far I put in a claim with the USPS and it was insured so either they locate it or I get my money back I guess ? and some crooked thief made off with a beaut of a fly rod.

9. Paul Voelker

Paul Voelker Member

Media:
    A friend of mine recently had a bunch of items for a '47 Chevy pickup sent to a chrome shop in the midwest and he received a phone call asking if the package he sent was a joke. The lady at the shop opened the box and found a jar of Skippy peanut butter in there and the parts were missing. A mail carrier somewhere along the way stole the parts and put in some weight. It was insured but good luck finding original parts for that truck.

10. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    This is just the opposite. We own a small business, and Paypal always sides with the buyer. We had an item ship, proved that it was delivered to her, Paypal still refunded her money at our expense.

11. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Wow, what is to stop a person from screwing the system and saying something was never delivered then :|

I guess its time to start shipping everything signature required.

12. Michael Morris

Michael Morris Member

Thats unfortunate, I am an honest person and trusting so I personally would never lie about this situation, as I hope would be true witht he seller. Just unfortunate that when you mail things you can be at the mercy of the people delivering it and the word of the seller and the receiver...just to bad that some use it to scam others.

13. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    As we have found out the hard way... nothing. If the seller really wants to pursue the matter, they can hire a lawyer, at which they will have to decide if it is better to just "cut their loses". That's what we did. Mail fraud is nothing new. Many people literally "cash in", hoping that they never get caught. Even if they do, they can always claim, "Oh yeah, it just arrived a couple days ago..." and get out any punishment.

Do you know how hard it is, to actually prove that a package arrived at its destination? Especially if it is sold to someone in a different country. We sell our products around the world, and have (luckily) had it only happen twice. Both times Paypal sided with the customer. That's why C.O.D.'s are used in some cases, or as you mentioned, signatures are required. However, that can scare some folks away from your business - thinking it's a bit intrusive. It probably depends on your customer base. I would think that most people view a fly fisherman an honest person, where as someone selling used car stereos...not so much. :D

I think most companies rely on the "honor system", which most folks are honest when it comes to stuff like the mail. However, leave it to the human race to screw anything up. I hope things work for Mr Morris.

14. Michael Morris

Michael Morris Member

Yea I will not be using the US Mail for any shipments anytime soon. I just called again today for an update for the claim I filed as they told me I would be contacted on Friday and I never was, and it appears the lady I filed the claim with did not actually file a claim. Also, it appears I am supposed to bring the package into the Post Office for observation and bring in my receipts of mailing it and its insurance, and after explaining to the lady for 5 minutes that I do not have a receipt since I was not the sender she says "oh ok, nm" And then proceeds to tell me it would take around 60 days, as they would be mailing me a packet that I need to fill out. What a complete joke.

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    First off, there are sooooooooooooooo many factors here, it's mindboggling to explain them all. There could have been theft or scam on any part of this transaction (not just saying you, so please don't take it that way just explaining here). EVERY delivery company has it's pluses and minuses. In todays world, very few want to pay claims. Just the way of the world (just like any insurance company).

Now, onto the seller. They can preweigh and preprint mailing label at their place. Doesn't take much to weigh out box, print label, put on box, then send an empty tube. Know this from experience from my job. Actually didn't pickup a package because it was WELL under the weight they claimed on shipping. Nobody purposely pays MORE for shipping, usually just the opposite.

But most carriers/delivery drivers care to an extent (and I say that loosely). Some care more then others. If you have a route, some go above and beyond for their customers (some don't). I never purposely play the "I'll never ship with them again" game. I have about every carrier come onto my property a couple times each week. Some are good, some are bad. Depending on who's the carrier that day (and yeah, some of the carriers for certain companies REALLY suck, and I mean for ALL of them).

Just go with their procedures. AND NEVER EVER bitch at the person on the other end. Just remember the "you catch more flies with honey then vinegar" phrase. If you're friendly (even when you're ready to kill someone) you'll more like eventually find someone who'll help you. Ranting, raving, and using the "I'll use the other carrier" gets you absolutely NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I truly know this first hand. The moment I hear that, you're done with me. You'll get the basic service and that's it. I will no longer go above and beyond (like I do for most of my customers). But not matter how hard you have to bite your lip, don't be aggressive or demanding on the phone.

16. Michael Morris

Michael Morris Member

Guess I am just trusting that a member on here wouldn't purposely screw me over, but then again I tend to always give people the benefit of the doubt. That is why I believe the item was actually shipped, but like you said who knows.

Just to make it clear I have in no way been rude to them and actually have been overly nice and just been receiving terrible customer service from them. I have only ranted on here as an update to the terrible service I have received. But yes after wasting my time with their lack of customer service I am frustrated...

17. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Had my local USPS carrier fold my books (from Amazon) in half and cut my packages open...complaints have been filed on numerous occasions. I was told by the supervisor, that a package is damage in any way before delivery, they put a tag noting this before delivery...this told me then that the carrier is opening packages. My mail comes to my home in a little better shape these days.

18. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

I'm not surprised by this. The 'observation' thing sounds ominous but probably standard procedure. I had a headache attempting to collect on a claim with the USPS. They ultimately denied it due to the packaging method even though half the package was destroyed in transit (I'm talking totally squashed, like a ton of bricks fell on it). I've avoided using USPS ever since when possible. My folks had a similar thing happen when they shipped a desk to my sister. Good luck. I'll be interested to hear how it works out with the claim in this case. Hopefully upon inspection they will not find a reason to deny it.

19. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    You shouldn't be upset with 60 days. That's pretty normal. You should be happy you don't have a son that is on the other side of the world (like my son was in the Peace Corps), talk about corruption in the mail system........

20. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the notion that who you bought it from didn't scam you just because cause he was another forum member. In fact if I had to bet on it, I'd say the odds of who scammed you (seller or usps) are 50-1 for the seller.

It says you joined quite recently but earlier this yr there was a big scam by a member who had also done this on other forums... Asking for free shit then flipping it... Taking $$ for items then not shipping them...pretending to be a vet and parlaying this into more free shit that he sold on other forums... Etc. Hell he even was able to scam free shit from ORVIS. The thread is here: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/88506/

I have no idea who you bought it from on this forum but just a fair warning that just because someone is a member here means nothing.

Best of luck recovering your rod/$$, that really is an unfortunate situation. If I can help in any way let me know