Stonefly Nymph Imitations For the Madison

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jeff Hale, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    I used to tie some pretty elaborate stonefly nymph patterns, similar to Kauffman's Stone, but in recent years have done equally as well on a Rubber Legs or Girdle Bug, both of which consist of lead, chenille, and rubber legs, and are a heck of a lot easier to tie and much, much faster. In addition, I use the Stone as the top fly and usually have a dropper off of it, and it seems that maybe only 1 out of every 5 trout take the Stone. Hence, I am hesitant to tie a bunch of elaborate stone nymphs that are essentially used to weight my nymph rig down, are not taken very often by trout, and are often lost on the bottom of the river when I hang up.

What has ben your experience with the Madison and stonefly nymphs? What are some of your easy to tie, quick patterns? Thanks much in advance. Jeff
  2. SloughCreek13 New Member

Driggs, ID
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Dude I think you pretty much answered your own question. Stick with "guide flies"--easy and fast to tie, and effective.
  3. Charlie Erdman In search of steel

K. Falls, OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    what time of year are you going to be fishing the madison and in what area?
  4. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    yup, as above, good ol Pat's Stone or rubber legs is all yuh need, don't forget the amber bead dropper though on the Madison
  5. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    The past couple of years all I have used for a stonefly nymph is a black bugger. sz 4. streamer hook weighted, and a black bead, black body,black schlapen (sp.), ribbed with copper wire, sparse orange flash in the black marabou tail, and orange and black rubber legs.

Just add the dropper of your choosing....
    Frank
  6. Longs for Cutts Member

Gardiner, MT (formerly Bellingham)
    Ratings: +15 / 0
  7. Longs for Cutts Member

Gardiner, MT (formerly Bellingham)
    Ratings: +15 / 0