Stonefly Patterns Anyone?

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Mike Etgen, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've done a search on our site for Stonefly patterns, as I've got an urge to do some of those, and am surprised to find only one. Anyone out there got a favorite or two to share - and/or suggestions for a range of basic stones that should be in every flybox?

Or...any good links? I've got a couple bookmarked, just thought I'd start here.
  2. Tom Grobelny Member

Snohomish, WA
    You could look up stimulator patterns also, They are simmilar to Stone Fly patterns. There were a couple tied for the 2006 Marathon swap, you can see them in the gallery under fly swaps / 2005-2006 marathon / dry flies
  3. earlsmith Member

Seattle
    The rubber legged girdle bug is a really simple tie, and a productive one, if you tie small, I find weighting them w copper wire is an alternative to the bulk that lead wire can cause, I have always had luck w this bug if stoneflies are a foodform the fish are keyed to...Black, or brown, or a mix of colors, they do work well and are a quick tie.
    Earl
  4. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Heh Mike are you looking for dry or nymph or both? My favorite nymph pattern is an ultra wire stone that I tie using two different colors of wire. You also have the typical Kman stone nymph.
    For dries I would probably say that the stimi is the best all around pattern, just by simply changing the color scheme and size of hook.

:cool:
  5. sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
  6. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Scott (and Tom):

Thanks for raising the obvious question. I should have been clear, and I apologize. I was referring to nymph patterns.

sixfinger: I'll have to look a that link when I get the chance. Thanks.

earlsmith: Is that pattern depicted here in WFF and/or one commonly catalogued?

Thanks, guys...I also got a PM and an invite from someone who's got ongoing tying sessions and their next subject is stonefly nymph patterns. How cool is that? :thumb:
  7. Tom Grobelny Member

Snohomish, WA
    You might want to check out All About the Fly in Monroe on Saturday. Randy Diefert will be doing a liquid lace demo and you could probably talk him into demo'ing a stonefly nymph with that stuff.

See the events forum for details.
  8. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Thanks for the heads-up, Tom. I've got a prior commitment I can't change this coming Saturday, but will keep an eye out for other chances.
  9. Michael Brady New Member

Seattle, WA
    My favorite fly right now is the Egg laying stonefly. Basically one of the best searching patterns out there because it dubs as a stone, caddis, and mayfly.

Caught 5 fish over the weekend on the Little D using size 14 mostly brown and olive egg laying stoneflies. Biggest was about 12", although I caught a 16"er earlier in the week on an egg laying stone.

Attached Files:

10. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Try being a little more creative with your search. There are dozens of dry and nymph patterns on this site.

Try "stone" and then try "skwala" from the main gallery page. Not all will be listed in the "patterns" section. It would be cool if we could organize\index the pattern gallery better. Lot's of good ideas out there - but often hard to track them all down.