Storing a Pontoon Boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by up2nogood, Oct 28, 2011.

1. up2nogood

up2nogood Member

I have a Sportsman 9 pontoon boat, and would like to store it hoisted to the ceiling of my garage. I have somewhat of an idea how I want to do this, but would like to get other ideas that I could toss around. My one big question is what is the best way to let it hang up there, straps under the pontoons, with them carrying the weight, or hanging it by the frame letting the pontoons hang free, It would seem hanging by the frame, and letting the pontoons hang by there strapping on the frame could possibly cause some damage over time, maybe I am answering my own question here, or worrying about something that will not happen. One other question, I have to think storing the pontoons deflated, and folded is not the best thing for them, remaining inflated is the best for them. Any suggestions would be welcome, Thanks

2. Short Fat and Ugly

Short Fat and Ugly New Member

As the mfg of these pontoons I know they are durable and hanging them will in no way damage them. We store all our pontoons here at factory, after they have dried out, rolled and then secured with a cam strap. We see lots of pontoons in the spring that have been damaged by rodents so I always recommend that the pontoons stored in a sealed container. A plastic tub from any hardwear store is perfect. If you have more questions please call me at 800-966-0976 - Chris Callanan - Outcast Sporting Gear.

3. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Mine hangs by the frame, pontoons inflated to working pressure in the summertime. It gets hot up there in the summer so make sure they are not inflated too much. If not in use, they go kind of flat during the winter months. I have a series of ropes & pulleys hooked up to a cheap hand winch. Some guys use a bike rack system. I've been looking for a cheap, used garage door opener to replace the winch.

4. up2nogood

up2nogood Member

Thanks for the reply, If not mistaken, Outcast is the maker of the Sportsman Warehouse pontoons ??

5. up2nogood

up2nogood Member

Thanks, I will go with hanging it by the frame, that seems much easier than running straps around the pontoons. I decided to use some cheap game pulleys from Habour Freight. One on each end.

6. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

Ain't Harbor freight the best all around Hardware/Tool store you've ever seen?

One would think that corp. like Sears etc. would pick up on the way to get folks attn. is to make it cheap enough to toss the old one in the trash & to go buy another one, when it gets worn out.

I too, was thinking about storing the tubes Hanging on the wall, but my limited space just won't allow for this to be the preferred method.

I will be rearranging the frame in the near future, (like over the winter), so it has to be free from the tubes anyway. I'm going to attempt to make my two man a wider frame, by adding centering sections , so that I can have a wider frame, thus creating a more stable footprint, I'm thinking about adding six inches to each side, because
    A). It will give me a more stable platform,
    B). I can already get into 2" of water with me & the gear loaded & spreading the width of the displacement will only be enhanced, meaning that I might even be able to cross over a depth of only 1" of water.
    & finally,
    C). I can have the freedom to move about the craft, from fore to aft, & back if I want to get something from storage, or to have the ability to search the cooler full of ice, without having to step across the tops of the tubes, or finagle with the seat(s), in order to retrieve something in the back from where I'm steering the toon from the front. (Utilizing a dual trolling motor system).

7. Methow Roamer

Methow Roamer Seeker of the Exotic and Aquatic

Are you suggesting that moving the pontoons farther apart will decrease your draught? This is not so.
    Only increasing the size of the 'toons (length/diameter) will accomplish this.
    Adding to the frame will only increase your draught by adding weight.

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    I bought an inexpensive (20 bucks) bicycle pulley system for hanging from a rafter. Four short pieces of 1/4 inch lazer line and and four large snap swivels to attach to the frame. I keep my pontoons at a little below working inflation level. What you can't see is a compressor just below the boat. If it needs air while being stored or just before I go fishing, I lower the boat down and fill her up.

[​IMG]

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    We have been hanging ours for years in the garage. One note, the frame is the way to hang them as, they can and will loose air pressure. I have gone out in the garage in the winter, and the toons are limp. Pump them back up and they are fine.

10. up2nogood

up2nogood Member

Thanks for the picture, pretty much the same as I am doing, but using the two game hoists they were 25 bucks for the two. Only drawback I have to work each pulley separate, going to be a little slower. I may get a double pulley, and run both ropes thru that, and will be able to pull both at the same time. For now I will see how it works. It will be nice to get it up out of way, and still have it ready to go.

11. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

"I've been looking for a cheap, used garage door opener to replace the winch." I had that problem one time, too. Every time it would be raining or snowing, the wench would refuse to get out and open the garage door. Oh, wait, you said "winch". Sorry.

12. Driftaway

Driftaway New Member

If she read that i would imagine your pontoon would be in shreds by now. lol

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    If you look closely at the left side of the picture you will see that each pully has its own line. Same issue of working two lines, one for each pulley system. Nice thing about the system I have is each line has a lock. When you are not pulling the line the lock holds it in place.

14. up2nogood

up2nogood Member

Sounds like a good system, how do you get the pulley to release when you want to lower the boat ? What I did with mine because they do not lock was run the line along the ceiling thru a pulley close to the wall and then added tie down cleats on the wall to tie off to. I can now stand off to the side ,and lower the boat in the truck or onto the floor.

15. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

I'm only speaking of maybe adding 6" to each side, & I can't imagine that I would be increasing my total gross weight by what? 1/2 lb, to maybe one lb? If I spread the existing weight out, over a larger surface area then that should decrease my draught, No? If I stacked all of the weight into a smaller area, then it would increase the draught, because I've increased the lb., per square foot, square inch, etc., correct?
    Then the more that I can spread the "given" weight over a larger area would mean even less draft, right? I'm not changing the design of the craft, only widening the area that I am already spanning, which should be ok, as long as I am not over reaching the capacity of the tube itself. No?

16. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Floatation is a function of displacement (volume of the pontoon underwater) not the area spread out above the water.

17. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Pulling on either line releases the lock. To lower, pull one line with one hand and pay out the second line with your other hand.

18. Preston

Preston Active Member

Bouyancy is provided only by the pontoons. How far apart they are positioned will make no difference; by widening the frame you are not "spreading the weight over a larger area" but merely re-positioning the pontoons which will provide exactly as much and no more bouyancy as you had to start with.

19. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    The only thing spreading the frame does, is add stability.

20. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put braces in the rafters to keep the hangers from moving around.
    [​IMG]

The pulley system is a Cabelas product for hanging deer.
    [​IMG]