Storing Pontoon Boats

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Oneweight, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Oneweight

Oneweight Member

Media:
    I'm looking at getting an Outcast PAC 900 but am now looking in my packed garage thinking, where the hell am I going to store this? With bikes hanging and garage door opener, there is not enough room to suspend it from the ceiling with a pulley system and pontoons off. Best case would be to take the pontoons off, roll them in a bag and suspend the frame from the ceiling........so question is:

How and where do you store your boat? Do you disassemble the whole thing? Is it really bad for the pontoons if I were to deflate them and put them in a bag of some sort to put on shelves? Outcast says no but they also just want to sell a boat.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    I deflate the "toons", Hook the ends together to keep the pontoons from laying on cement and lean it against the garage door. It doesn't take all that much room.

I get home from the river with the boat deflated. Hooking the ends together at the river makes it fit in my truck and easy to move in the garage.

Joe Smolt

3. flydreamin

flydreamin New Member

Home Page:
    I'm not sure buts it's been my understanding that you should never fully deflat your pontoons due to chance of creases forming in bladders and causing week spots, What I do is on the side wall of my garage I have eye hooks in the studs with metal wires connected to then and then latches on the other side, I then connect those to the frame of my pontoon, so it's facing up and down and lays flat against the wall, filled 80%.

4. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Media:
    Only problem with mine is is that I live in an apartment and no where to store my pontoons inflated! I take and deflate them clean them and roll them up so no creases. another thing to do with the bladder. this is an old Navy trick we used to do with the bladders in Helicopters. is to put baby powder around the bladders. this helps reduce abrasion. I store the whole pontoon boat in my VW in the back broken down. lots o storage back there!:thumb
    Steve

5. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    >How and where do you store your boat?

It's inflated and hanging up on the garage ceiling. Sometimes I travel with it deflated, but most times I strap it to a rack on the back of my pickup fully inflated. I try to spend as little time inflating/deflating as possible.

Roper,

Life goes on, enjoy it...

6. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    I Plan on hanging mine from the ceiling.
    Would it be better to support it from the frame or the pontoons themselves?

Mine will fit inflated between the garage door when open and the ceiling, I have 3 feet above the door.

I to would also like to know how people have the pulley system set up.

My brother stores his in the back of his SUV partially broken down and partially deflated.

7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

:) First build a 30' x40' barn with 12' sidewalls. Next-well after that everything will be self evident.....Ive

8. PT

PT Physhicist

The ideal situation is to be able to leave it inflated and in the garage. But, since you can't do that just do as you stated. Roll it up and put it away. It takes a little longer but once you get it down it only takes a couple minutes. The bladders in the pontoons MIGHT wear a little quicker that way but Outcast will fix them 10 years down the road if that happens. I wouldn't worry about storing them that way. Just make sure you try and get them as dry as possible before storing them for months at a time. Outcast yes, Creek Co. no!
    My .02

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well I usually store it on top of my car so I can hit the local lakes up until the first of June. After that I take it down and deflate it and just store it out of the sun light and just lean the frame up against any bulding that is near. Been doing that for four years now and it all works when I blow it up and use it.

Jim

10. Oneweight

Oneweight Member

Media:
    I've heard other people talk about pulley systems for sending the frame into the rafters as well....

Can anyone describe this with a little detail? How?

11. Great white hunter

Great white hunter New Member

Home Page:
    Well I store my cars outside and I have 4 pontoon boats in my garage fully inflated,with the Harley of course.Priorities my man!
    Seriously though,it is not a good idea to store the tubes deflated and rolled for any period of time.

www.greatwhitehunters.com

12. Shakes

Shakes New Member

I have the pac 1200? (two-man) and it acts as my couch in the living room when not being used. Always a great conversational piece when people are first visiting.:smokin

13. Brassie

Brassie Member

That's real nice - do you have the pinstripe or the paisley Pac 1200? Never thought of using my pontoon boat for living room furniture - I'll check with my wife and see what she thinks.

14. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Media:
    Maybe someone should start a morage business for pontoon boats. I just bought a boat and realized I don't have anywhere to store it...:dunno

15. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    Good boat. I deflate the pontoons, and hang it from two large plastic coated hooks that are mounted high on the wall of my garage.
    You will find that the bladders are not affected with this type of storage, and it's pretty much out of the way.:beer2

16. Shakes

Shakes New Member

Brassie,

I am lucky at the moment not to be married. The boat might cause a strain on the marital relationship. Works great though as a couch. Just sit in the front swivel seat and watch games on the TV, and when going fishing, juts haul it out the door and throw it ontop of my subaru for trips anywhere.:thumb

17. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    ...if your in an apt, inflate it and leave it in the middle of your living room for a center table! Now isn't that the cooolest table ever?
    Seriously, I would deflate them to 70/80% and dis-assemble them from the frame and put both pontoons either in your bedroom closet, or even better on your deck if you have one.

Good luck and hope you hook-into some "Trophy Record Steelhead" . Hehehe

Peter ><>

Mark 12:30-31

18. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Member

Interesting thread. I was curious, so emailed Creek Company to ask their opinion on pontoon storage. They agree, best is to keep lightly inflated, next best to roll them, and finally to fold up. Their biggest concern was to be sure they are very dry, and to store in a dry place.

Ronbow

19. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Used to just leave mine on top of my truck, ready to go at a moment's notice. Now I lean it against a rock retaining wall on a piece of plywood (out of sight from the road). I cover it with a cheap tarp. toon is left fully inflated.

Bob, the but Bob, you live on the O.P. where you can get way with that sort of stuff.:smokin