Storing Steelhead Flies Efficiently

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by buckeyebrewer, Feb 18, 2014.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I like a Morell fly boxes. Simple and light. You can add straps to hold the big flies down tight.

2. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

I keep tons of flies on me while i am fishing, but not a lot of variety, just quantity of a few patterns. I have one of those clear plano boxes, and I jam as many as I possible can into the little compartments so when I get hung up I don't even hesitate, just bust off and I can tie another one knowing that I have a dozen more just like it. I keep a few flies in light and dark, some large and small, and organize them by color, so when they get wet, and the dye in the material bleeds, my pink/peach/white/orange flies don't turn grey because they were next to the black/purple ones. I keep a huge pile of split shot in the same box, and I am constantly adding or taking off shot so I am at the right depth so I don't have to mess with changing tips that often. I also do all my flies on tubes, and keep about 100 hooks in various sizes in the box so I can switch out quickly if they get dulled. With that set up I am pretty dialed in.

3. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I've gone to the Plano boxes because they are cheap. A few years ago I left my sling pack on the side of the road with most of my good boxes in it, CRS can be expensive!

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  4. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

underachiever likes this.
  5. I like the bugger barn if I'm carrying a bag with me. It's a little too big if I'm doing the "wader cramming" method.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  6. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

best method hands down