Story from SVH on Skagit fish kill......

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, May 6, 2013.

1. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    miyawaki likes this.
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,566 / 0
    I didn't know that Ecology only tests the fish or the water if they have already identified a culpable party, someone to send the bill to.

All of the inter-tidal sloughs flowing through ag land appear vulnerable to several water quality problems. They represent a lot of potential fish kills just waiting to happen at this time of year if farm operators aren't extremely attentive to chemical and fertilizer use.
  3. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Farmers are literally working 24/7 right now. That means a lot of fish kill potential and a difficult time finding anyone accountable.

It is a shame to have these happen but it appears they are infrequent so at least the measures in place work most of the time.
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Before we go blaming farmers let’s remember that agricultural spraying was only one suggested possibility of many including natural causes for the kill in the article. I work for a large farming operation in Skagit County and can say with all honesty that spray operations are taken very seriously. Not only to protect the enviroment but also neighboring fields and most importantly those workers who are performing the spray operations. It isn't something that is done with any level of disregard.
  5. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    True. I didn't mean to point a finger at farmers, I just meant to say that there is a lot of farm work going on right now. And, that overall, it sounds like these issues aren't the norm and that is good.
  6. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    So, the DOE will only investigate if they already know what happened and who did it? Ok.
  7. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    kerry probably pee'd in there!!!!
  8. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +520 / 0
    Here in Whatcom county there is only one signifigant source of water pollution presently (ground and surface water). It is agriculture. Liquid manure, pesticides, runnoff from sileage, nitrate fertilizers, farm fuel tanks, DCP, EDB, the ag sources of water pollution in Whatcom county are too long to even list in entirety. If the fish kill was caused by any other non-natural occurance I would be shocked. I can think of one septic system that was found to have failed in the county that found it's way to a Nooksack trib as an exception, except that example was a farmer who straight piped his effluent from his tank afer his drainfield failed. While some farms do a fine job, the industry as a whole has a whitewashed environmental history. Left wingers love farmers. Right wingers love farmer. Fat people, like me, love farmers and the majority of American are fat. So most everyone loves farmers either because we love to eat or because we've romanticised the profession.

As far as the testing goes, it is extremely difficult to show who the polluter was even with positive test results, that is if you even know what to test for. You can fingerprint petroleum (diesel and gas) if you suspect a certain source but I have never heard of a similar technique for pesticides. Further, if you don't have an inclination what the source was (potential liable party) then you would not even know what to test for. The tests are not free.

Go Sox,
    cds
  9. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    I would say that the farmers get the short end of the stick when it comes to river ecology. The timber industry, developers and the power industry have all negotiated laws to continue to damage the river enviroments with little to no change in the ways they do business. We all know that dams certainly have a negative impact on river health. Also, deforestation seems to have a negative impact on the river along with covering every square inch of land in sight with impervious surfaces such as roofs and asphalt. Now the manure (pun intended) is flowing downstream to the delta farmers who don't have the lobbying power of that logging, hydro electric or developers have. Yeah, everyone loves a farmer yet they have more restrictions applied to them then any other entity that impacts the river system. If farmers are having such a negative impact on the river why do we not hear of more fish kills caused by thier irresposibily? With that said, one of the biggest issues with river health is diking. Which were first installed by, wait for it, farmers. If you are going to go after farmers for thier impacts on the river do so with the things they do that actually have a noticable impact.
  10. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +120 / 0
    Not entirely correct. There is a fairly significant amount of human fecal matter deposited on the banks of the SF Nooksack in July and August from the inner tubers. It is a huge problem. There are efforts to close the river to the inner tubers as well as keep it open with the addition of proper facilities. It is ridiculous that it has taken me three years to get someone's attention.

It appears, if the river remains open, it may actually happen this year. Even though it is out of their realm of responsibility, Whatcom County Parks has been the most helpful and receptive. They care.

It is amazing to see how many of our government agencies are apathetic. The house at clay banks on the mainstem Nooksack was left to fall off the river banks which it has now done. The septic pipes are visible. Nobody that I contacted about potential solutions cared. There is another that will follow likely in the not too distant future.

The least responsive and biggest waste of my time was the Department of Ecology. They suck.
  11. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    LOL!I find I am always sent in circles when dealing with bureaucracies and nobody seems to actually care or want to put down their coffee mug or something.

Welcome to planet earth Ed! If you have any problems please contact So-And-So at 555-555-5555. Thank you!
  12. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
  13. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +120 / 0
    I remember when, I remember when, I remember when I lost my mind...there was something so special about that place.