Strange Methow Steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by zenzless, Nov 7, 2009.

1. zenzless

zenzless Experienced Enthusiast

Near the end of October I caught a steelhead, buck that looked unlike any other I have caught or seen. It looked more like the leopard rainbows of some Alaska rivers. It was a smaller, 24-25", unclipped fish with heavy, more distinct spotting nearly top to belly and all over the head too. Maybe it was just a big local, bow that looks different!?! It didn't look to be a Cut-bow cross either; besides the cutts here aren't as spotted as on the coast either. What's being stocked 'round here?

2. Brian James

Brian James New Member

Media:
    Picture?

3. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    On second thought, I'm deleting my post.

4. SpringCreek

SpringCreek Addicted to Cane.......

Probably a chinook jack.

5. zenzless

No, just like big foot...grabbing for the camera, solo, and the fish was pretty tired and had andipose so rleased as fast as possible.

Not sure I catch the drift of BDD's reply so I'll look at your post.

6. zenzless

No, it was a rainbow for sure. Just really spotted like a one red-headed kid has some freckles and the other has a lot of freckles!

7. muknuk

muknuk Active Member

I live on the Methow River and have caught a few 23-25 inch heavily spotted bows with an olive sheen. You are lucky and they are rare.

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I replied and posted a picture of a cutthroat to see if the fish you caught looked anything like it. Regardless of what a certain fishing author says, the large, resident mykiss and clarki are not real common in the Met, so I decided to delete the picture so as not to add fuel to the fire.

9. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

Could it have followed salmon up out of the Columbia? I could see one making a move to feast on eggs & flesh.

10. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Here is a Methow bow-did it look like this one?

11. zenzless

Thanks, everyone. I accept Muknuk's evaluation. We are all lucky to fish. Now how to help the fishery...as BDD suggests we might not want to accept the current for the norm.

12. zenzless

Awesome, beautiful fish, but no it was more emerald green than the olive green and had way more spots and they were a little bigger in general and much lower over the whole body and head.

It is interesting that those bow's look a lot like some of the Westslope cuts in Northern Idaho that we see.

13. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    rick, that looks like a cutbow.... when i stuck my face in the screen i think i see slight slash and the max jaw looks cutty'ish..i could be wrong, totally. have seen alot of them and less pure this or that. throwin'in a pic of my cousins cutt from the area.

14. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Guys. It is a Steelcutt.

15. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but there are steel/cutt hybrids. A few years ago, I caught an obvious hatchery fish with adipose completely removed sporting (very clearly) orange slash marks under the jaw.

16. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Zenzless, the descriptions kinda sound like a Chinook to me, did it look like the fish in this pic? That was a Chinook jack I caught earlier this year.

17. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Media:
    Thats a pretty cool looking fish. Trout body but with king colors.

18. Lex

Lex Active Member

Rick, Definitely a cutbow. Beautiful fish though. Nice job.

How about this one? Did your large bow look like this one?

19. zenzless

Funny, this has been bugging me since all the replies have come in. Troutrageous that Jack is interesting and has the sort of facial spotting but Lex's rainbow pic has a lot closer resemblence. I contend that it was a rainbow salted or not and not a Cutthroat or Chinook (or of course bull trout for that matter) and the best representation I could find is the rainbow on the bottom right of this page (I use the link for copyright reasons): http://bulkleysteelhead.com/rainbow-trout

The uniqueness of that fish just had me scratching my head and though I wish I had a picture for this post and as a trophy it isn't always about that especially considering the wild/hatchery situation there. I guess the interest just shows the appeal of this passion we call fishing. - Thanks

20. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

This is from an old film camera. Fish was 25" long and 11.5 deep or 23" around I suppose. Main stem Columbia catch. I was alone and was interested in making is easy on the fish so the photo was quick & poor. At the time I swore it was a trout but years of catching various looking fish leaves me less certain for sure. I will say I have never caught another with such a deep heavy body as this one. My take is there are a variety of mixes of genes in the big C and they move around too. Not just within the Columbia but the tribs too from what I have seen. I seem to catch the trouty/steel mixes late March>early May and then mid Aug> mid Sept. They seem to be in the same places I fish for bass early and late in the season.