Stream suggestions while in Seattle

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by prestonco, Jul 16, 2013.

1. prestonco New Member

Ratings: +2 / 0
    Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000001858 StartFragment:0000000457 EndFragment:0000001842
    Hello, I'm going to be in the Seattle area this week and would love to do some fly fishing while there.
    I'd like to catch as many different natives as the area offers and avoid stockers where possible. I know this is coastal cutt and rainbow country. I also know there are native bull trout and dolly varden, but I'm guessing those species are off-limits given their current status...this correct? Any suggestions on particular streams? I have a fair amount of time so I can travel a bit, perhaps as far as the Olympic Peninsula. I'm not asking for anybody to give up honeyholes, just a few suggestions on areas to fish for natives. I feel I'm most equipped (in terms of gear and knowledge base) for smaller stream/river fishing, but any and all suggestions are welcome. What are the streams in Rainier NP like?

Also, whenever I fish in a new part of the country I make a donation to a local organization doing work related to the restoration/preservation of native trout populations. Any suggestions for active TU chapters or non-profit orgs doing good work in the Western WA area?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have to say this is a great forum for information and discussion, keep up the great work.
  2. sea Member

Olympia, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0

Check out the Cedar River, the NF Snoqualmie River, Sammamish Slough, and there are others. Recommend hitting creeksideangling.com for more info
  3. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +608 / 0
    The Cedar is probably your closest bet. If you are renting a car make sure you have insurance on it. Break ins have been up on that river. As with any stream, don't leave anything visible in your car.
  4. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    The Snoqualmie river arises in the mountains east of Seattle and has three main forks (S, M, and N). The S and M forks have lots of public access and fish well for mostly small rainbows and cutthroat, with the occasional brookie or mt whitefish. The N fork also can be good, but has less public access.
    D
  5. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,376 / 0
    Cedar for native rainbow. It's a bit early, but lower Stilly or most any river for sea run cutthroat (coastal cutthroat). Also still early, but Skagit for bull trout. Zip over to the Methow for native west slope cutthroat. If you want to add a native steelhead type rainbow to your list, you may need all week.

Sg
  6. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +316 / 0
    Or all year....
    prestonco and Old Man like this.