Streamer Rod - Thoughts/Advice?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brian White, Oct 5, 2009.

1. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    11' 4/5 wt Beulah switch with an elixir line.
    had to say it man...:clown:

2. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Ive thrown alot of streamers over the last few years with Scott, winston, and sage rods=
    I settled on one rod-
    The scott s3s (saltwater model) 6 wt is a canon that is still light in the hand. I up line it to a seven in the wind or for throwing critters, but stay with a 6wt line most of the time. This is a truely amazing rod that flies under the radar for most- Cheap if ya grab one on the bay too...
    It's a great long range carp weapon too:thumb:

3. LeoCreek

LeoCreek Member

You may be able to pick up a Sage RPLXi in 6wt or 7wt for a good price, and they make dandy streamer rods. I have not fished the 7wt, but the 6wt is a great rod. It will handle streamers and dries and dead drift nymphing.

I really like the 6wt RPLXi and only feel limited by the size of streamers and bugs one can reasonably toss with a 6wt line. It has good flex for a "saltwater" rod, and can be overlined with a 7wt line for in-closer fishing, but I haven't felt the need so far.

Yeah, it's a 3pc, but truly an excellent workhorse rod. Just my 2 cents.

Another thought: if you can find a Scott ARC 957/4 or 1007/4 (9'6" or 10' 7wt 4pc), these rods are streamer machines with really nice feel to them. Also great mid-sized steelhead and salmon rods.

4. BigSkyDave

BigSkyDave New Member

Originally you were asking about a streamer rod for Montana and Idaho Rivers, something that could throw large weighted flies, and occasionally dries.

For the past 25 years I fished and for a few years guided on the Madison and Yellowstone. I have rods from 4 to 12 weight for different applications. But my go to rod most of the time for big weighted (4s) streamers, buggers and nymphs, plus dry salmon flies and big hoppers is a fairly fast action 9' 7weight.

Fishing here you need to consider the wind as well as flies. A fast action rod helps with the wind and a 9 footer helps keep the the big jobbers a little further from your ears. As Charlie Brooks wrote long ago "We pick our rod weights here by the size of the wind, not the size of the fly." My sweet casting Sage 6 wt. doesn't cut it with the big stuff in the wind.

I've overline the rod up to a 9 weight line for close in nymph fishing with #4 weighted Bitch Creeks.

Also use it for spooky cuda.

Use your 5 weight for smaller dries. The fast 7 will break fine tippets.

5. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    i am now leaning toward a 7 wt - it will be my Xmas present to myself. might even be an early xmas present to myself....

6. fifafu

fifafu Guest

Same here I have a GLX 6wt that I love for throwing hoppers and easily works for streamers too. However I like to wait for the bigger flies anyway so I find myself fishing an older Sage RPL 10' 7 wt. It is heavier than the anti-gravity glx and a medium action by todays standard but I like the way it handles the bigger stuff. I broke the tip on my GLX on Rock Creek this summer. It is now 8'6" 6wt and seems to throw my Rio Windcutter even better now. Does anyone think that sounds odd or am I just hoping it does?

The tip breaking was "kind of a blessing" as I was forced to pull out my old Sage 490 GrII "light line" for the day and I realized how much I miss fishing it. Does anyone else still put the LL into play?

7. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Easymends has a 10 foot 6wt Sage XP he's looking to trade. It's on the Classifieds. Having tossed Jason Decker's 9'-6" XP (6wt) with a 4" conehead, I have to say it's sweet. My GLX Sreamdance is no slouch, either.