Streamers? Madison? HUH?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Dan Soltau, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Spent the past 8 days in the madison fishing streamers for the most part, though we caught fish on dries and nymphs.

Attached Files:

2. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    Those flies look like quite big bug, do you happen to have a good picture of just the fly like on perhaps that last pic?

wb

3. SpeyrodMike

SpeyrodMike Member

Media:
    ya im curious to see a pic of some of those flys. It seems like you got a pretty good system down for fishing those streamers though.

4. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Media:
    Nice trout Dan! Did you know those same fish can be caught with dries? ;)

One month ago, I caught a very nice brownie on a Salmonfly dry where you are in the second photo - at the end of the last island below $3. Was also there just a week ago, and we figured that over the years we were as responsible as anyone for wearing that trail that runs down there from the parking area on the upper bench.

"A twelve-inch trout caught on a dry fly is four inches longer than a twelve-inch trout caught on a nymph or streamer." John Gierach

5. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    If you are like me, I am partial to seeing the fish eat my fly. Since I fish unweighted flies that are no more than a foot under water I can see them try to take my fly out of existence. A little cooler than he same fish spping. I would putmoney on the fact that those fish would not have eaten dries. If they are on salmonflys hell, but mid auust. No. This is much more thrilling to me than any other type if fishing.
    Heres the patterns.

Attached Files:

6. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Media:
    Just razzin' ya. Nice streamers!

Not just Salmonflies. Mid-day, mid-August? Maybe not. But you do fish the evening caddis hatch/spinner fall?

7. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dan, looks straight out of the school of Kelley Gallup, sweet pics sweet fish way to go.

8. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    John, These would be the methods of kelly.
    Creekx, we had extreme stormage in the afternoons which put a halt to consisitent evening dry fishing. although we had two goods nights, broke a bow of clean first cast after i rebuilt a leader, 5x gone. Some food for thought. I also had fish literally going out of the water after streamers from all angles. Very interesting to watch, adreneline!
    "OH,OH, THERE HE IS! THERE HE IS! EAT IT ASSHOLE! COMEON! AWW HE MISSED IT! HIT IT AGAIN! HERE HE COMES! BAM! GOTTEM!"