Streams near Denver Co

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by LSTEPHENSON, Aug 9, 2006.

1. I'll be in Denver for a few days starting this weekend and want to get out and fish some mountain streams in the area.
    Does any one have a recommendation on where to go?
    Thanks
    Larry

2. Don't have much experience in the denver area, I have fished mostly around boulder, but have fished parts of clear creek up by idaho springs just west of denver on 70. Try small bwo's and bring a few caddis for dries and small brown stones for subsurface- size 14 should do.

For more info in the area pick up a copy of Fly Fishing Colorado's Front Range by Todd Hosman. Great book for all over the front range.

3. How far do you want to drive to get to this fishing Larry? troutpockets suggestion is a good one, lots of Denver fly fishers on the fly fishing side of that forum. Giving it a try is probably your best bet. WPEBs Clear Creek might be a good one but I've not fished it.
    I can help you with northern streams like the Big Thompson or the Cache La Poudre, but they're at least an hour north of the Denver area.
    Good Luck!

4. Cheeseman canyon on the South Fork of the South Platte. Big fish, clear water, and the fish are very educated!! Can be challenging. Fine tippets, small flies. expect a lot of company. Small soft hackles actually do quite well. haven't fished there in 18 years though.

5. Try Waterton Canyon on the South Platte rather than Cheesman. It's closer to Denver, but the traffic getting out there from downtown around 5:00 pm would be killer. It's staying light now until about 8:00 pm. Lots of caddis in the evening on the S. Platte. Suggest that you take a full day. Lots of options within two hours - head west into the mountains for the Blue; head south for the South Platte; head north for the Big Thompson or headwaters of the Colorado. Still some trico activity on the S. Platte early in the morning, but they don't seem to be looking up at them the way they were a few weeks ago. We're getting a lot of rain this week, so the rivers may be a little high early next week, but should drop back into shape pretty quickly. 9 foot 4 weight is the ticket. Tight lines.