Streamtech Boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by John Hicks, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Well, I finally did it. James Mello and I have been sharing an old Achillies raft for the past two years. It was a "bucket boat" (non self-bailing). I loved the boat but it was a tank in the water. So recently I decided to go out and find another rig to get me down the river in. I did a lot of research on rafts, and finally settled on a Streamtech Salmonfly. After quite a few conversations with Link Jackson the owner of Streamtech and with Derek Young who owns one, I decided on the Salmonfly. The raft is a 13'6" selfbailing Maravia with a Cambridgeworks frame. I love that I was able to totally customise the raft to me need but still have Link there to tell me what works and what does not.

So after waiting for a couple weeks to have mine built, the Wife and I drove to Oregon to meet Link part way to take delivery. This was great as her and I decided to stay in Hood River that night. I got to talk with Link for a while and get the low down on my new raft.

I chose to have two dry boxes, one under the front seat and a cooler box just to the front and to the right of the oarsmans seat. This weekend I took the raft out on its maided voyage and named her the SS Vincent after my father who passed away last summer. She took some nice white water very well. I loved the high rocker front as it really rolled through the wave trains instead of punching through. The dry boxes were able to hold a shit ton of gear which was awesome. The raft turns super easy and tracks very smoothly. I was able to even back row on a couple areas which are no easy task in a raft.

I will post more pictures in this thread as the customasation progresses. I have already decided that I need some rod holder options so if anyone knows of some let me know.

salmonfly.JPG salmonfly2.JPG salmonfly.JPG

JesseCFowl and Ed Call like this.
  2. Congrats! Looks like you made a great choice and I am sure you will love it.

3. Nice boat! now you need a narrower raft trailer. LOL

4. I actually have that trailer by design. I can put sideboards on the trailer and use it for other things. It is also very nice to walk around the boat without having to climb on it.

5. Sweet-lookin' boat.

6. Thanks for the ride in the new bote. Good stuff. Mine will be here in 2 weeks, so family floats are in our near future.

7. Good looking raft, very clean design.

Check Folbe's website, they make rod holders for your raft frame, you will find a base that will clamp right onto the tube. Very slick product.

c/22

8. Dubbleposttttt

9. Nice boat - Congrats John!

10. Sexy, man.

11. Very nice. I wanna ride. Link builds a hell of a boat. And he's good people.

12. Congrats! Very nice boat.

13. John, having fished out of and rowed Derek's boat I'm very jealous. I love my cataraft, and as a boat of opportunity it continues to impress, but that Streamtech is the cat's meow. I heard you and the 'Radish had some time on the water in that boat recently. I do hope that it is all that you wanted! Did someone say family floats? I'm down, have family and they like to float. Congrats!

14. That is a dream craft. Nice!

15. Ed, I'm all over it. This summer, methow two day, yak two day? I want to do a four day on the John Day sometime as well.

16. I know a guy with a John Day permit...just sayin'.

17. Family float? Are Aunties invited??? John, I know other more family-friendly launches than the one we did last time, LOL!

18. Sue, Aunties are always invited. Maybe we could have a multi family overnighter this summer on the yak.

19. Auntie Freestone and John, let's do a two day on the Yakima then a three or four day on the John Day.

20. Awesome looking boat. I'm green with envy! You're a couple years ahead of me. What other accessory options did you get besides the two boxes?

It would be really interesting to hear how you deliberated all the various options.