Stretch Floss Legs?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Old406Kid, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

At the risk of being classified as a "D.A. Nympher" I'll ask this. (Honest I only use this for legs on dries);)
    I currently have Flexfloss, Superfloss, and Dynafloss in order of preference and know there's several others available.
    I'm far from a perfectionist but like my tails, antenna, legs, etc. to be somewhat bilaterally symmetrical
    rather than helter skelter.
    My Flexfloss flies look pretty good, SF o.k., and Dynafloss like a bad hair day.
    Some materials have a curl/set maybe from packaging or naturally. Is there any way to relax it?
    Any other material or tying suggestions appreciated.

2. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    That's a great question. I do get a little frustrated with the curl/inconsistencies of the stretch flosses. My guesses would be steam or heat for the stretch floss, as that's what usually used for feathers or straightening just about anything. But who knows, that may make it worse.

I did recently order silicone legs from The Caddis Fly called Buggy Nymph Legs. They are thinner than most silicone legs. I haven't tied with them yet, but I think I could use them down to a #14 nymph w/o it looking too odd, certainly a #12. They are thinner than stretch floss, let me put it that way. It is a Hareline product, so it may be available in other shops/locally/sponsor.

3. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Media:
    Stretching them out usually helps. Do it a few times. The friction from your fingers heats up the rubber and it will slowly become straighter. Hope this helps.