Strippers...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by SciGuy, Sep 10, 2009.

1. SciGuy Active Member

B.I. and surrounding points
    Ratings: +59 / 0
    ...uh, I mean Stripers. Now that I'm an East Coaster (grrrr), I need to learn to fish for something other than salmon and steelhead...and the 6 inch local trout and smallmouth here in PA just ain't gonna cut it. Do you guys have any good/informative resources that I can tap into? Books? Websites? Etc? I did spend a hour yesterday at a local fly shop run by a guy who specializes in saltwater flyfishing (http://www.anglers-pro.com). What I know so far is that I probably need 9'0" or 9'6" 10wt and should be able to chuck a 5 inch Deceiver 100+ feet...that'll take some practice!

Thank you in advance.
  2. Adam Taylor Member

Newtown, CT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Here are a couple of ideas for you..

www.stripermoon.com Kenny Abrames is a Rhode Islander...old school style with flies

Anything by Lou Tabory is worth a read....

You can check the Saltwater Edge board out of Newport...there are usually some interesting folks posting on there...

The other book worth reading...maybe not owning is Stripers and Streamers by Ray Bonderau (sp)...

More may come to mind, but that should get you started.

I will say this, the 10 wt may be overkill right now. I have caught plenty of fish on 5 through 8 weights. There is a place for the 10, but my opinion an 8 will work fine. A couple of variables.

1)Where are you going to be fishing? Beaches, Jetties? do you have access to a boat?
    2)Fishing a floater, intermediate or heavy sink line?
    3) Size/Type of flies you are going to be using?

Lot of things to filter in.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    Although I've not fished for strippers or stripers I have a friend back East who does (both probably but the stripers for sure). He told me that he has been using a switch rod and a two handed overhead cast from the beach and casting well over 100'. I took his input, chatted with my local shop and followed his lead. I have been fishing a similar setup off the PNW beaches and getting way more line out than I was doing with my single handed rod. All I can say is a TFO Deer Creek Switch rod properly lined with the right weight Airflo 40+ Two Handed Overhead Beach line and also Floating Striper line will put your line and 5" deceiver out where you think it needs to be.

Best of luck.
  4. SciGuy Active Member

Adam, thanks for the references. I am under the assumption that what works in CT/MA go for NJ and points South, correct?

Mumbles, that sounds like a pretty sweet set up. Can you give me the rest of the details (wts, did you overweight it?, etc.)?
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    PM coming to a mailbox near you soon.
  6. herl Member

the other washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    SciGuy- Mumbles is very wise, and I'm sure he knows what he is talking about..

However, for my personal tastes I would choose a faster action rod for 2-hand overhead casting. - the Echo 10'10" Switch rods come to mind, as do many heavier, beach casting specific 2 handers. I've tried casting fuller-flexing (as I understand the DC switch to be) 2hand rods overhead and had trouble applying power without collapsing the rod and the loop. Probably a matter of personal preference, but something to consider.. this ain't roll casting.

Looks like I'll be joining you on the east coast in a month (moving to DC..), so perhaps we can get together and commiserate over some strippers, er, I mean, stripers.

Eric
  7. Adam Taylor Member

Newtown, CT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  8. Chris Puma hates waking up early

stumptown
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Where exactly you moving? I'm from Boston. Can give you the lowdown on what to expect and where to fish.
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Eric,

I'm not pushing the upper limits of the Deer Creek Switch grain window so I don't think I'm realizing the deep loading that this series is known for. I'm at least a line size or two less than Mr. Mike Kinney, Skagit Master himself, suggests for this rod. I just found a combo that worked for me from what I had available after some line trial and error.

Come for a visit, I'll let you cast from my house to yours...it just might reach. The two handed beach line is 150' long. I'm no gorilla, you've seen my pathetic casting, I can get 100'+ out using a roll, water haul and launch type of two handed overhead cast. To say I think I get about 120' to 130' out is not an exaggeration.

I've been getting TONS of casting practice as I'm fishing...and very little interruption of my groove by those pesky fish getting on my hook, stretching my line and making me have to use my hand on that round spinning thing with a little handle. Makes for good practice.

Maybe I can show you one thing before you head East. You've shared a ton with me.
  10. Dizane Coast to Coast

Bellevue, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Google search "stripersonline".....lots of info there.

The best advice I ever got about fishing NJ was to fish at night. Like middle of the night night. They move in shallow patrolling the rocks and "pockets" where the rocks and sand meet when the light gets low and everyone else leaves the beach. Long casts not required.

Here's a crappy pic of a fish I caught off a NJ jetty on gear while living back there. Fish was caught about 3 AM on a "teaser", just 3 inches or so of black bucktail lashed around a 2/0 hook.

Have fun with them.

[IMG]
  11. herl Member

the other washington
    Sounds like you have it dialed in Ed. I haven't cast a DC switch myself, I've only heard they are on the soft side, similar to the Beulah switch rods, which I have attempted to cast overhead. Which DC is that? And which Airflo beach line?

I've been able to cast an entire Outbound line with the TFO TiCrX 8wt 2 hand conversion (very stiff/fast), but only on the grass - subtract 20' or so for fishing conditions.. Maybe with more practice, but that setup is too heavy for the sound. I'd love to check out your setup, but it's doubtful that I'll be making any ferry trips before shoving off. But damn, fishing out 120+' casts.. you should be nailing those coho.;)
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I still smell like skunk! I've got a TiCrX with conversion that I got as a backup switch and single handed chum rod. I'm gonna try my outbound on it. I have a 9/10 Airflo two handed beach line on my TFO. With that line I would not consider it soft or deep loading. Maybe closer to the top of the grain window.
  13. floatinghat Member

near enough to Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Bill,

Send me your contact info I might have a couple of ex steelheaders who can help you out.

andre
  14. SciGuy Active Member

Lots of great information so far. Thank you and please keep it coming.

Mumbles, thanks for the PM...very informative.

Andre...I'll send you a PM in a sec.

FYI, I now live about an hr North of Philly...less than 2 hrs from the Jersey shore. I also go to Boston about 4 times a year for business and I'd be happy to extend those trips by a few days if the fish are running.

Bill
  15. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    strippers can't touch your fly in washington :(
  16. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +646 / 0
    Look up Jack Gartside, Boston Mass area...he has a website etc...www.jackgartside.com... he's a master, as is Kenney Abrahms who was noted earlier... There are a few good books as well... The Striped Bass by Nick Karas is a good one, "Inshore Flyfishing" by Lou Tabory is another good one with more modern info and includes tackle and techniques, flies etc. ... tons of good stuff on the internet. Lefty Kreh wrote a ton of good articles on Striper fishing, mostly Chesapeake Bay area stuff, including his book "Saltwater Flies". I fished for them from Maine to South Carolina, Hatteras and Okracoke Island etc. Its an addiction for sure...tons of night fishing. This is prime time, now through christmas if you began up near Nantucket, The Vinyard and Cape Cod or Montauk Point through thanksgiving, then head south along the shore to South Jersey, places like Barnegat Bay and Long Beach Island...Island Beach State Park... then down to Chesapeake Bay and tributaries...then to Virginia and the mouth of the James River, then down the coast to Oregon inlet and Hatteras, Okracoke etc. You can even find them in the lower Altamaha River near brunswick GA and Sea Island in wintertime. I would say a 10 weight is mandatory. I got away with a nine weight for years but was seriouly under-gunned many times.
  17. Rogue Fanatic New Member

Bainbridge Is., WA
    Billy lives! How ya doin' pard? What Dizane said was money- fishing at night and with something long and twisty that looks like an eel or bloodworm. We'll miss you at Chico this year.

Fish on,
    RF
  18. Walt K Searcher

Poulsbo, WA
    SciGuy, if you're an hour north of Philly and Anglers Pro Shop is your local fly shop, then you're right where I grew up. I didn't do any striper fishing from Jersey beaches, but you have a lot of FW opportunities very close by. Check out the Perkiomen Creek and its tribs for smallmouth--some nice ones are around. Nockamixon and Peace Valley lakes offer a variety of species, but you'll want a canoe or something similar to fish them. Then there's the Delaware River. You have to fish the shad run in April/May. Various places in Bucks County going up past Port Jervis on the NY border. Some pretty nice trout in the upper Delaware, too, and lots of bass everywhere. Stripers in the Delaware, too, but that's a fishery that developed after I left and the water got cleaned up.
  19. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    I agree, Stripermoon is a really good website with a lot of information.

For the rod use, if you plan to u,se switch rod and overhead cast, You need to try it first to see if you feel comfortable with it... Personally I like to use fast single handed rod when stripping big flies are needed. The casting distance between two handed and one handed is not that much, because you will lost double haul advantage with the two hands overhead casting. In my opinion it is safer to cast a big weighted flies with single handed rod than overhead casting with two handed rod (personal preference). But sometime the fish here are calling for smaller flies and more dead drift presentation. I will use two handed rod and swing the smaller flies. It is more efficient to cover water this way...
    I think the key factor of a successful striper fishing is about finding the fish. If you know where to find them... the pattern is not that important...
  20. SciGuy Active Member

Great info! I live between the Nockamixon and Peace Valley Lakes.

Scott, fess up, you only clicked on the link because of the title!