Stripping Basket recommendations?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by R00k, Mar 9, 2014.

1. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +756 / 0
    $.02...

I've done a lot of fishing with various baskets over the years. Almost all have their pluses and minuses, as one might expect. I still have the fabled LL Bean basket that the linekurves is based after (more on that later) and have used various baskets from the William Joseph mesh basket mentioned above, to the square Orvis basket to baskets both solid and ones with drain holes...

Mesh basket. Plus for travel, obviously (think suitcase or carry-on when flying.) OK for wading up to your knees, may make a suitable flats basket or out of a boat where a fixed basket is impractical. Terrible for deep wading, if you wade over your waist the line will simply float out (with a floating line) or spill out with an intermediate. Also, the basket in which your running line seemingly tangles the most. My least favorite of the aforementioned styles, but ok if travel and no deep wading are your only parameters, also the least expensive.

Solid style baskets like the Orvis and linekurves... Great for most conditions, including wading deeper in calm conditions. Both have similar cones for aiding in line tangles, both work similarly well. As mentioned, the linekurves is a near identical copy of the old LL Bean model. The linekurves actually is a bit lighter, which I prefer (the LL Bean one is a tank, well made and they were cheap! But kind of heavy...) I like both of these baskets, and for fishing here in Puget Sound, much prefer the solid bottom (no drain holes...) The linekurves is a little larger and a little less expensive than the Orvis, I don't really have a preference between the 2. This style is likely the best "all-around" style, though if your fishing heavy surf (think stripers off of Montauk) then...

Baskets like the 2 above, can be drilled for draining. Be certain to keep the holes small enough that your line can't slip thru. There are also several types of commercially made baskets that incorporate a grate-like bottom for drainage, though the ones I've tried had too large of openings and line could (and would) fall thru, creating a real mess. This is a good type though if you're fishing heavy surf, where crashing waves and spray constantly fill your baskets, often causing your line to "flood" out, as well as being a safety hazard (someone alluded to this above I think...) Great for conditions of heavy surf, ok as an all around basket but again, for our local waters, it strikes me that the solid bottom is a better bet.

Something not mentioned, is simply getting used to using a basket, there are several little tricks that aid in doing so, like making certain your first strip is actually stripped out of the basket (and into the water.) This prevents the line from your reel to not jump up from the bottom of your basket when you cast. Since the line is in the opposite order, if your first strip goes directly into your basket and there is no slack between the bottom stack and your reel, when you go to cast, oftentimes the motion of your reel moving forward and back causes your bottom loops of line to jump up and tangle.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the subject, good stuff here. For full disclosure, we (Puget Sound Fly Co) sell the linekurves, just got a bunch if new ones in, and can also get any of the other styles mentioned. But again, I'd be hard pressed not to go with the linekurves or Orvis for most situations.

$.02

Dan
  2. R00k Part time rookie

Snohomish, Wa
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Wow!!! Awesome post - thanks Dan, very good read!

Mike
    formerguide likes this.
  3. Bob Young Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Do not get a mesh model. Solid bottom with no holes. They let the water out but also let the water in.
  4. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    A little water in the stripping basket helps lubricant the fly line. To drill holes or not to drill holes? You may be surprised just how slow water flows out of a say 1/4 inch hole, and if your standing in deep enough water that the bottom of the basket is setting in the water it will drain out at a even smaller rate, if at all. I also keep my belt loose enough so that even if I fall the basket will fall off my feet. This way I don't worry about the basket taking me down, I just have to worry about my wanders filling up with cold ass water.
    When I'm fishing in the ocean I use a mesh basket and I don't wear wanders, I wear a FarmerJohn wetsuit so if I go down I have some flotation. I too have tried making my own basket but spent way too much time fighting it, and just bought one and have never been happier.
  5. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +511 / 0
    Good point on not needing holes for puget sound waters....but when I posted I was thinking of my uses...and with coastal ocean shores fishing I prefer holes. Several tiny ones as mentioned above ;)
  6. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    got the Linekurv just recently. have not had a chance to use it. but fishing for year without a basket has proven that they are a must for salty fly fishing. at least for most of time. a few times i have not needed one, but those were rare.
    R00k likes this.
  7. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    At first you don't think you need one (at least I did). Then once you use one, you think...why did I wait so long? Especially when casting and shooting line, line coming out of the basket vs line coming off the water against the current no less...stripping baskets are a must for *efficient* saltwater fly fishing, wether you wade ankle deep, knee deep or waist deep. If you fish the tides you want a basket. Heck, even if you're standing on dirt/sand/gravel, having a basket keeps your line of the ground and keeps lots of grit off your fly line. I wasted much energy not having one, until I got one.
    R00k, Porter and Stonefish like this.
  8. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +181 / 0

definitely do not do that. get that for SRCs and then make your own (with holes or mesh) if you ever venture out into real surf (having fished many times off of the Oregon coast, that's what I'd do).
    R00k likes this.
  9. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +986 / 0
    The ones you can buy are great. You can also make your own real easily and save $50. Either way they are nice to have in certain situations. I mostly use a floating lime for srcs so o don't really need one but for my sinking line and/or switch rod it is a huge help

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/91147/
  10. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    I have both types but use the Orvis basket. The mess bag folds easily for travel but when fishing the salt, I found that while it filled and emptied easily, it trapped bits and pieces of sea weed and other stuff floating in the water. It was a real mess to clean up after. It also does not have any cones to help separate the line coils so I tangled a bit more often. The Linekurv is a great choice as well. I suppose it's what you get used to. The major point is that if you are a beach fisherman, a basket is pretty much an essential part of your equipment.
  11. Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

auburn,wa
    Ratings: +75 / 9
    Hey was there not a 24 page thread on this subject last month
    Alexander likes this.
  12. doublebluff Go Beavs

Corvallis, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    I have resisted a basket because I can't imagine being able to strip the line actually into a basket. I get the idea of keeping control of the line a bit, but what about something like this?

http://www.profisk.dk/group.asp?group=971
  13. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    db,
    Once you use a basket a bit it isn't really that hard to get the line in it. I strip with my left hand and keep the basket low and cocked towards my left hip.
    I've seen the baskets you posted for sale, but I've never seen anyone actually using on on the beach. It seems it would be harder to keep the line on that easpecially if the wind was blowing versus a basket.

It looks like another stripping basket option will be available for purchase from Sea Level come this spring.
    You can view pictures of it at the bottom of the first post by Dan Blanton.
    http://www.danblanton.com/viewmessage.php?id=187821

Sea Level makes some pretty nice line management products for boats as well.
    http://www.sealevelflyfish.com/stripping-bucket-ii/
    SF
  14. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
  15. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    thanks for posting this. nice to see a replacement for the fly line tamers i have always used on a boat... and are no longer manufactured.

thanks!!!
  16. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +230 / 3
    I tried the mangrove hip shooter. I found because of its depth it limited my ability to wade deep and still use it comfortably. I think the shallower style baskets are better for our local beaches.
  17. cutthroat kid cut throat kid

Gigharbor,WA
    Ratings: +38 / 0
  18. cutthroat kid cut throat kid

Gigharbor,WA
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    good tip on not stripping line into the basket to start, I will try that this weekend. I like your shop

erin
  19. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +646 / 0
    I have been using Rubbermaid Dish Pan stripping baskets for almost 30 years. Cheap, inexpensive, effective. I drill a 3/8" hole in the lip, one at each corner, and I use a 30" bungee cord with a plastic coated steel hook at each end. I do not put anything like drain holes or line tending loops etc., in the basket. I use it clean and bare. It is very simple to flip the water out of it if need be, easy to release if you stumble or trip in deeper water, or take a big wave over the top. And it is a clean dry place for my dirty boots and waders on the trip home. Should you fall into strong current or wash wearing this simple setup, the elasticity of the bungee will allow you to gain your footing, and they are easy to drop off quickly. A solid belted deep plastic stripping basket, even with a mesh bottom, will take on a lot of water quickly in some situations, heavy water, and if you fall in to fast moving water, or you take a wave wearing one of those tubs, you better be good at unbuckling it fast. I have been finding these Dish Pans at yard sales for a dollar or less. And the bungee cords are easy to come by. I still have my first one, which is almost 30 years of use, and I think I paid $2 for it at Kmart on sale, and I found the bungee in the road on the way to the beach. Fishing side by side with other anglers, they using all manner of their own stripping baskets, I get no more nor no fewer tangles or snags than they do. I am astonished at what people are willing to pay for these things. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com
  20. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    You should see me strip for Coho... ;). :D. Hella fast.