stripping basket

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Fly Fanatic, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Like some others, I have constructed one of my own from a $.99 plastic 14"x16" plastic tub with a bungee I found along the street during a morning walk. In the bottom I RTVd 6 small leftover pudding cups to control the line after I saw this done to a self-made one worn by a nice young lady at Chico Creek last fall. Very effective, very inexpensive. I haven't put any holes in the bottom as I have found that it will float my thermos jug that way.

2. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

I've got to throw my .02 in on the L L Bean basket. For the money it can't be beat. I think it came to a total of 24.95 including shipping. A great tool.

3. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    Orvis's model = :thumb: I used to use one I made from a $3 IKEA dishwashing tub and an old nylon clip belt. My buddy uses that now...those Orvis gift certifiicates come in handy! ;)

4. Wayne Chan

Wayne Chan Member

Once I started using a basket, I won't go back to beach fishing without one. I've also started taking a 15gal size kitchen waste basket with me when fishing from a boat. It is a great way to manage the lne, plus I can just put the rod down in it while I move to a different spot.

5. barbless

barbless Member

iagree Another nice thing about the LL Bean model is the notches they put on either side to rest your rod in while tying on another clouser - don't know if anyone mentioned those yet. You could probably jerry rig something like that on a homemade model but it wouldn't be pretty.

barbless

6. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

My solution was to cut a couple of raduised notches in the top of the tub and RTV in a couple of half round sections of PVC. One might use some rigid pipe foam insulation if you desire a padded rod rest.

7. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Banzai, good idea, hadn't thought of that. I use the rod rest constantly to free up both hands when changing up flies, pulling out a flask, ;) etc.; it would be nice to have the notch padded with insulation to keep it more stable. Might even put in a couple of foam rubber rod holders I have laying around to completely secure it.:thumb:

8. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I use a rubbermade an drill the bottom and poke electrical ties thru the holes. It works great with a bungee cord. The real advantage is that I can pull the ties out, fill it with my reeels and lines and pack it in my luggage when traveling. The collapsables don't have this utility.

9. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I just ordered the LL Bean for $19 and change. I'll try it out and compare it my home made jobber. Mine works, but it is kinda big and boxy - I feel like a hot dog vendor at safeco feild when I'm wearing it... :)

10. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I have the LL Bean basket as well. Good value, but it will only sit directly in front of you. One thing I like about the softer baskets is that you can shift them a little to the left so they don't interfere with casting/reeling as much.