Stripping Baskets

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by scottr, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

I just got my Hello Kitty stickers
    for my stripping basket. I'll post
    a pic. Dave

2. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

3. scottr

scottr Active Member

So do Hello Kitty stickers work like bananas, but the other way?

4. scottr

scottr Active Member

5. Clay Carney

Clay Carney Member

Yep. I made two of my own and they worked decent but they didn't hold up. 2 cones, 4 cones, weed eater line, etc.. I was out on the water getting tangles and knots and I said to myself, I would pay a $100 for clean, tangle free line. I bought the Orvis basket and no more problems.

6. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I just ordered the Linekurv last week. Should be here any day now. Can't wait.

J

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Jason,
    You are really going to like the Linekurv. Money well spent. For $50.00 or so, in my opinion it is by far the best value going in regards to baskets you can purchase.
    I'd own one if I didn't already own multiple LL Bean baskets.
    SF

8. scottr

scottr Active Member

I think this is the route I will go. I like the looks of the Linekurv.

9. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Scott,
    It's a good move to just purchase a molded plastic stripping basket, you will never regret it. I regretted not buying one sooner. They easily add 15 feet to your cast fishing the beach.

I feel sorry for all the kids who won't be able to get a drink of water or wash their hands because their dads stole their Ikea step stools for salmon fishing.

10. Stonefish

Scott,
    Not sure where you are located, but The Avid Angler sells Linekurv baskets.
    SF

11. funfisher

funfisher Fish On!

One more vote for Linekurv. I love mine and one more vote for no holes.

12. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

anyone know if the Linekurv basket is sold anywhere from south seattle and beyond. Outdoor Emporium, Sportco, or Puget Sound Fly Co? I'd like to pick one up before next tueday.

13. Russ T. Streamers

Russ T. Streamers New Member

Interesting...I was in the Avid Angler about a week ago picking up my new rod and didn't see them. I ordered mine directly from Linekurv in Denmark http://linekurv.dk/en/ . Was $58 including shipping and took about a week to get here. Used it for the first time this morning. Peninsula Outfitters in Poulsbo also has them listed on their website http://www.peninsulaoutfitters.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=278

OBTW, I should probably introduce myself as a newbie on the board. Have been lurking around here for awhile but haven't felt that I had anything to add until this thread came up. I'm not entirely new to fly fishing, but have only just recently decided to try it in the salt. I've been fly fishing for trout for a few years now, but finally realized that I live much closer to Puget Sound than I do to any decent trout water. It's certainly easier to get out on the water 5 minutes from the house instead of driving 45+ minutes away. Thank you guys for all the great information on this board.

Eyejuggler and Jeff Dodd like this.
  14. Stonefish

Russ
    Welcome aboard.
    Just talked to Ben at Avid Angler has them in stock.
    I was going to buy one when they first came out, but the exchange rate killed the deal with it being nearly $100 with shipping back then.
    SF

15. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Peninisula Outfitters in Poulsbo always has the Linekurv in stock as does Gig Harbor Fly Shop if you're on the west side.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  16. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I made my own. No holes and no belt. I cut a bungy cord in half and knoted the ends. If it fills up with water it falls off. I used wine corks that I rounded off the ends and attached to a cat litter box with Stainless screws and a little hot glue. I think the stainless screws cost the most.

17. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

Just talked to one of the gentlemen at Puget Sound Fly Company in Tacoma. They also have the Linekurv baskets in stock for $59.00. I'm going to pick one up there.

18. Denny

Denny Active Member

To me a stripping basket is a hugely important tool for effective beach fishing. I never leave home without it.

I don't know if a stripping basket would help you shoot line better, but it will surely help you with line management.

19. Denny

Denny Active Member

Got one, a Hello Kitty decal with a patch over her eye. Great karma.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  20. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

I just made a new one as I didn't like the first one I made. Ikea stool with 1/4x2" machine screws through the bottom. I took screw protectors and cut the end off of them and slid them on the screws superglueing them in place to cover the entire screw length. Coated the whole screw assembly with rod building epoxy. Going to test it out on the beach this week.
    uploadfromtaptalk1376287025855.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1376287038662.jpg

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

scottr and Kcahill like this.