NFR Stripping the soul from the Olympics

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ribka, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ribka

ribka Active Member

Ron McNeal likes this.
  2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    I'm with you. HS, college and freestyle. I cannot imagine the olypics without wrestling. IOC is dropping the ball, going after $ over a rich, diverse "tournament of tournaments."

Ron McNeal likes this.
  3. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    My daughter is a redshirt freshman wrestling at Simon Fraser in BC. She spent last week at a junior national team development camp at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs returning home last night. She was as happy as I have ever seen her in this photo:

aikaOTC1.jpg

She woke me up in tears this morning to show me the article. Basically, her dream of competing in the Olympics that drives her to train 5hrs a day and give up a normal life all through high school and the first year of college may be taken away by a bunch of rich assholes pandering to their friends.

The IOC chose 'modern pentathlon' over wrestling. It's a made up sport that is a combination of equestrian, fencing, shooting, running and swimming. It was created at the turn of the century by cavalry officers... The recommendation was one of the worst examples of corruption and bias that I have seen in sports. Hopefully, someone will slap some sense into those guys.

I wonder how many kids around the world have dreams of being Olympic Champions in 'modern pentathlon'...

Ron McNeal, Dehlan G and David Dalan like this.
  4. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    For a minute here I thought you were talking about the Olympic Peninsula rivers!
    I too am disappointed over this idea. I could see dropping Ping Pong easily. But wrestling is so basic to human competition, an ancient sport,

Tacoma Red likes this.
  5. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    It's all part of the whimpification of the human race. An outrage.

David Dalan likes this.
  6. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Sure it's spelled Whimpification, but it's pronounced "Vaginized"..

Taking wrestling away from the Olympics would be like taking fish out of fishing. It is one of the originals, it is one of the few "pure" sports left (pure as in it requires nothing more than you and an opponent).

Ron McNeal likes this.
  7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    "pussification", or "wussification", as you choose. I think I'll add more whiskey to my coffee this morning. Then saddle up the skis and the .243 for a little interaction with the local predator population. You read bullshit like this and it makes me want to go out and remind myself why my eyes are set forward in my head, rather than on the side.

Itchy Dog and Ron McNeal like this.
  8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

As Jeremy points out this was one of THE original Olympic sports. Considering the odd ones they've added over the years, this move makes no sense at all.

9. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

C'mon - you mean you guys prefer wrestling to synchronized diving? Seriously, the way the Olympics have been covered by NBC for the last couple decades it's pretty clear they and the IOC are going after the female demographic.

10. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I think the plan is to replace wrestling with badminton.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    The Olympics have been evolving toward marketing for the most money, kind of like the NFL. It's no longer about gathering the best athletes in the world for international competition. It's about gathering the largest global audience in the world to make the most money off the Olympics name.

Bill Aubrey and fredaevans like this.
  12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

If you read the article from top to bottom it would appear that Salmo's dead on.

13. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    the article said something to the effect that in the future wrestling would have to compete for inclusion with sports such as rollerblading. Rollerblading!?! Rollerblading!?! Are you kidding me!?!

I'm not a wrestling fan, but i appreciate it for what it is - a great one on one contest. I also like the fact that it provides lots of countries with an opportunity to medal. I am a US supporter, but I kinda like the fact that with wrestling, athletes from smaller countries without $$$$$$$$$$ to spend on athletic programs still seem to regularly medal. Will smaller countries be able to provide budget and resources to send medal-contending "modern penthatletes" to the games?

Ron McNeal and Bill Aubrey like this.
  14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Another slice at the testicles of society.

David Dalan likes this.
  15. PT

PT Physhicist

Rhythmic gymnastics... Synchronized diving..... No wrestling.......?

When I had CBUT I was able to watch the Olympics. Now that I don't have it, all I get to watch is Michael Phelps and a couple other product endorsers

YGTBFKM!!!

16. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Obama!

Go Sox,
    cds

Jergens likes this.
  17. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I knew it!

18. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Olympic wrestling venues are consistently sold out, every games (so I am told). Wrestling is certainly flagging in popularity in the Western US, but in many parts of the world it is HUGE. Certainly more popular than the Pentathlon. Even with 25 core sports, in the US you'll get lousy coverage of maybe 10 or 12 sports.

Grrr...this sucks.

Thomas, tell you lady not to lose heart. There will be a stage to show shes the best in the world, one way or the other. SF is a great school, with one of the finest wrestling traditions in North America.

Old story: We ran into SF at tournaments in college, and was able to see their heavy (130Kg) Jeff Thue (silver medalist in the olympics). MONSTER wrestler. Never got to wrestle him though. I did get to wrestle Steve Mocco (and was completely schooled) the year before he went to the games.

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Now they also want to stick GOLF in there also. What in the hell do pro golfers have to prove.

20. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

I really have no interest whatsoever in wrestling, but I definitely agree with the sentiments posted here. I can't believe they'd pull the plug on it. I saw the headline and thought they must just be talking about it, and hadn't come to their sense. Then I read the article... definitely a nonsensical decision.