NFR Stripping the soul from the Olympics

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ribka, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    What's the fuss? They have ping pong. And synchronized swimming. And a bunch of other cutsie crap. Riding a horse, for God's sake! They'll probably pull the plug on gymnastics next; oh, wait, they make money off that one. A damn shame. Lawn darts, anyone?
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,626 / 0
    If they have lawn darts they will probably ban it because of the sharp points on the darts.
    Ron McNeal likes this.
  3. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    I love wrestling and I'm sad to hear it may be gone from the Olympics, but the Olympics have been on the down hill ever since they let professionals compete. It's all about the $$ and who wins the most. The spirit of competition is no longer the goal for many, and it's sad.
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  4. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    I agree with Chris. I can still remember vividly just about every moment of the 1980 ice hockey games (Miracle on Ice). I was going absolutely crazy. I don't think I've ever been more proud of a group of kids. Our amateurs against the Russian pros--and the Red Army team was just that--professional. Once they let the pros in, the Olympics lost a lot of their meaning for me. Who wants to watch the Williams sisters beating up on some poor kids from a small country? Not me. Sad about wrestling, though.