NFR Stroke sucks, you're not too young!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Speaker, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Stay Strong Brother. Scary as Shit.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,663 / 0
    My gosh, Jim! I'm glad you're okay. A stroke can happen to anyone at any age. Take your Aspirin.... just in case.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  3. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +414 / 0
    That is terrifying, I'm just glad you were able to make that call and get the treatment you needed to save your life and bodily function. It seems like you are doing fairly well and I wish you a complete and speedy recovery. Stay strong mentally and I know you'll make it back better than ever.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  4. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    Thanks, Gary. I'm planning to go after Pinks this weekend. I understand its best to "get right back on it." Better not to wait - relearn fine motor skills quickly.

Don't worry I drive the boat left handed! :D

Hope you're still in!
  5. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +188 / 0
    Jim, let me echo everyone's wishes for a speedy recovery.

And hell yes go fishing for pinks this weekend!

Hang in there.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  6. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    No Jim, you're never too young...! I had mine at 45... That said, it's not the end of the world... At 40 something, the body still has a lot of vim and vitality... Stay positive, follow the PTherapy program, and just refuse to "accept" anything less than full recovery...you will be amazed at how resillient the human body and brain can be.

Good luck!!

Pm to follow.

Dave
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +427 / 0
    Jim, I just saw this thread. My gosh, man. I thought you looked fit as a fiddle. I guess it can happen to anyone. Glad we got things going in the right direction. Hang in there lad.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  8. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    I'm finally going home! Well to my GF house for now. Waiting for her to pick me up. Then we get my heart monitor and go stop at my house then home to her house.

Whether I fish in my 12-footer on Saturday will depend on if they act like big babies re my monitor - I mean, if they want to see my heart in action it should include having many pinks on the end of my line, right!?!?
    Rich Schager and Thom Collins like this.
  9. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Jim. I am really bummed to hear about this. It also brings attention to my own health. Thank you for the update and keep us posted. Also, please if there is anything you need let me know.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  10. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    "Time is Brain" - truer words never spoken.

Remember FAST.

F = face - ask the person to smile. Is it even, or does one side droop? Ask them to stick their tongue out. Does it point to one side?
    A = arms - ask the person to hold their arms out. Does one side sag or drift downward?
    S = speech - ask the person to say a simple sentence. Is their speech slurred or strange?
    T = time - if the person has any one of these symptoms, call 911 immediately.

I hope you have a full and swift recovery, Jim.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  11. Golden Trout Active Member

North Central Washington
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    I'm no cardiologist but hope that your age and specs will get you back on the river a lot quicker than a lot of us (age, overweight, etc)on this site.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  12. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Back home for a bit then back to my GF house.

Here's my first couple post stroke flies. Fortunately pinks aren't too discriminating - but, having the thread and scissors back in hand told me: I'm gonna be alright!

image.jpg

image.jpg
  13. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    Back in the Saddle! (giddy up horsey) :)
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  14. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +784 / 1
    Seriously, you tied better before the stroke? Apparently you had talent to spare :D.
    Jim Wallace and Jim Speaker like this.
  15. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,093 / 0
    Jim, what a relief that you are recovering so fast without the debilitating after effects that so many experience. It's great to hear that you will get out fishing soon and that you can still tie so beautifully. It just wasn't your time bud, hopefully you will be fishing for many more years. Here's wishing you many tight lines and tall tales yet to come.

Take good care, Ive
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  16. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Thanks all, very much. I do appreciate it - and boy - have so much respect for those who deal / have dealt with the effects of more significant strokes. Holy moly. Not knowing how any of it would play out was very scary... VERY.

Definitely a wake up call of some sort, a warning perhaps. "God is good," is constantly in mind. I can't get angry that every 5th keystroke with my right hand is an error that needs correcting... I'm glad I can type at all with my right! I'm glad I can still tie, albeit slower, and won't be angry about being slower. I'll be glad to see the Puget Sound on Saturday with Gary.
    Jeff likes this.
  17. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +609 / 0
    Jim, I am happy to hear you're on the mend, and that your spirits and determination are strong! It's also quite apparent that the incident didn't affect your sense of humor...or the quality of your always articulate and entertaining posts.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  18. Jeff Member

Fairbanks, AK
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Jim, great news and nice flies! Good luck this weekend with the pinks. Give me the report when you get a free minute.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  19. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +237 / 3
    Sorry to be so late to the thread, have been out of Internet range for a few days. Jim, I'm glad things are turning out as well as they are. I will reiterate what Boot and a few others have mentioned. Don't mess around, time is critical. The available medications and interventions have time limits, and even after arriving to the hospital it takes about 30 minutes to get all the necessary tests and mix the medications before they are given. And even within the time limits, the sooner the better. So tell everyone you know, if you think you are having a stroke call 911 immediately. Thankfully it sounds like Jim did exactly this.
  20. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +602 / 0
    Keep on man. You're an inspiration to us all.
    Jim Speaker likes this.