Strung Badger Hackle

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by weiliwen, Mar 4, 2014.

1. I have found strung badger hackle harder and harder to find these days. I use it to make the wings on my favorite fly, the Spruce Fly. I've seen lots of general craft stores that sell crappy badger hackle, but cannot find high quality supplies. Any hints from the fly tiers on this site of where I might find some?

2. I asked about this about 10 months ago when I called to place an order with Charlie Craven's shop in Colorado. The shop employee who orders these supplies said that quality strung hackle, including badger, was very difficult to find.

I was lucky to find several bags of good quality badger through my fly club, but that supply is coming to and end. Not good to learn that it's still hard to find...

Jeff

3. If you need it. i know where you can get it. Fish Hunter now has a supply of it and you can find their material at your local shops. if you do not see it in your local shop have them call for a special order if they will. you can still get the 4-6in but select 6+ you can't get anymore.

or give me a call and i can direct you to shop that does carry Fish Hunter in your area. 253-298-6419 this is my cell phone. also i work for fish hunter. trust me... we have a good amount of it.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  4. Why strung? Hard to get matched pairs sometimes. You would be better off with necks. More feathers, various sizes etc. I just looked on ebay. There are some listed.
    Jack

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  5. Jack, perhaps I should use necks - This was the first fly I ever tied, back when I was a teenager, and through habit have always made the wings from strung hackle. The neck hackle feathers always seemed to narrow for a nice streamer wing.

Beachmen, I'll see if I can get hold of some Fish Hunter hackle, but if not, I'll give you a call.

Thanks to both of you!

6. if you cant get a neck, the hackle that we have is actually very even. i get a lot of pairs out of what i have.