Stuck in crappy cast mode

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Thomas Williams, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Seems like this is always happening to me. I'll be bombing great casts out for awhile and then slowing it starts to fall apart. I can usually rebound from it but I have to go back to the basics and slow down. This happen to anyone else?

2. Yep...usually after I've been out for a while. Start getting tired, cold or pissed off due to not catching any fish. Sometimes, "just being out on the river" isn't enough. You nailed the solution though...slow down and get back to the basics.

rwbailey05 and aplTyler like this.
  3. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I can relate. I can over-think it on the river and worry about each stage of the cast, then remember to just slow down and that takes care of it most of the time. Been a challenge this year because I have only used scandi setups before this year, and am now using 50-55' heads on my rods, so have been chanting "slow down" to myself all season!

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Save for 'Comp Casting' slower is better for fishing. In 'reel life' most of your actually fishing will be within 30 to 90 (probably over stated with that last number) feet from your wet boots. So who cares if you can put out 120+ feet of line?

William Wallace likes this.
  5. Thomas Williams

I don't think I can put that much line out. I'm happy with 50-70 ft casts if I can keep them clean and constant.

fredaevans likes this.
  6. gotta hit 100+ otherwise you aint getting to fish thomas, we know this already

7. Thomas Williams

I probably can't accurately gauge distance to the casting point anyways. I know that so far I've been able to hit the other bank so I'm happy.