Stupid Question(s) From A Prospective Fly Tyer

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ryan Hieronymus, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Ryan Hieronymus Member

Normandy Park, Wa
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Is fly tying difficult? I know that's probably a really silly question but from an outsider looking in, I'm wondering about the learning curve and how much time (and wasted supplies) I would need to devote to the art before I could consider myself proficient. I am willing to dedicate time, just curious how long I would need to be at it before I could tie anything the fish wouldn't laugh at.

Also, Is this an expensive hobby? Right now, I buy my flies from shops. I have a feeling tieing your own saves money in the long run but I'm not sure about initial startup costs, could anyone shed some light on this please? Thank you!

Sorry for the silly questions, just a noobie trying to soak up as much as I can.
  2. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
  3. rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Brownsville Oregon
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    tying flies is fun, lots of fun for me. I have more tying supplies than I can possible use so I give stuff to new folks who are learning. You will not save money, but you will have a heck of a good time catching fish on flies that you have tied. If you decide to tie let me know. I think I have a good basic book I'd send to you. My fly boxes are full of hundreds of flies and I love it.
  4. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    I'd say tying flies is like learning to cast. It's not too hard to make a fly that'll catch fish, and you'll do that rather quickly assuming someone's teaching you. Simple flies that you start on will be easy to tie well. As for hard, well, complicated flies are hard. There's a reason why most people's first fly is a Wooley Bugger. So, time and patience will be required for the learning curve. If you do it several times a week you'll be able to tie a bunch of stuff in three to four months, and fishable flies right away.

As Big E implied, saving money in the long run tying your own flies is not gonna happen. Not only the initial investment, but the continual purchase of hooks and material makes it something you do because you like it. You'll end up going to the shop and blowing thirty or forty bucks gearing up to tie one pattern (in a bunch of different sizes and colors). Eventually you'll end up with enough materials on hand to tie most stuff, but you'll spend a bundle getting there.

It's pretty cool fishing with your own flies. I enjoy tying a lot, and nowadays if I didn't tie I wouldn't enjoy flyfishing as much. I like sitting at the desk and researching flies for species of fish or hatches, finding patterns and tying them. Makes me anxious to get out and try them. Right now I'm working on Clouser Minnows for smallmouth.
  5. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    Jack Dennis, one of the fly fishing gurus, on a fly tying video, looks right at the camera and says, "you can buy them cheaper than you can tie them". He did not lie. You can buy them a LOT cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    The only dumb/silly question you will ever have is the one you don't ask.
  7. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    there's nothing like catching a fish on a fly you tied
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,547 / 9
    You can buy flies cheaper, and they are cheaper because in some cases they use inexpensive materials. When you tie them you can get the excact thing you want. You wont save money, but you might find a greater satisfaction in catching a fish on the fly you tied, cast on the rod you built...oh yeah, consider building a rod too!
  9. Thom Collins Active Member

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    That's just evil.
  10. Ryan Hieronymus Member

Normandy Park, Wa
    I think I should wait until I have a firm grasp on fly fishing before I consider building a rod! ;)
  11. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    fly tying can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it.

fly tying materials can also be as inexpensive or as expensive as you want to make it ($90 chicken necks are not cheap!)

fly tying lessons make the learning curve a whole lot easier
  12. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    I *thought* I fished a lot and *thought* I took it pretty seriously but when I started tying my own flies I really went off of the deep end with fly fishing. There is a great feeling when you catch fish on your own fly (or your own rod). It is also a great feeling when some bug is coming off and the fish are eating them, and you can go back to camp and whip up something that works. It also made me really pay attention to life cycles and such. I used to go to a shop, ask them what was working, and buy a few of those. Now when I sit down at the bench I need to think about colors, size, etc. and I usually tie nymphs, emergers, adults and whatever else stage. For me at least it made me more observant of what was happening on the river because I want to go back and tie flies that will work. There are some very good books out there that give step by step on some basic patterns. I like the David Hughes books, but Craven's are also very good. Enjoy!
  13. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    all great advice so far. If you take it up, start small and simple. Don't jump in to difficult flies right at the start.
    Use thread wraps sparingly. I think the one thing most beginners do it try to tie down materials with 20 wraps. 2 or 3 tight wraps is usually enough to hold any material. If in doubt, use the 5/3 technique. 5 on to hold, then 3 off to tie in the next material at the same point, leaving two to hold the previous material. Make sense?

Also watch videos online. Check Davie McPhail on youtube and tighline productions on Vimeo - great flies (simple to difficult). Take in a lesson at your local fly shop, or ask for a demonstration.

Fish dont care about neat and shiny lacquered heads...they care about general profile of the fly in the water. If youre first fly has a similar profile to what fish are eating, they will take it...You can certainly catch fish on the very first fly you tie!
  14. Ryan Hieronymus Member

Normandy Park, Wa
    Wow thanks for the advice guys! Any recommendations for where to start in terms of kits, or is it better to buy your equipment separately? Thanks again for all the great advice on here!
  15. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    I started by taking a lesson at a fly shop. A kit and a vise were part of the fee and the kit included all materials needed to tie the 10 or so patterns we covered. It really helped by showing some basic tricks and techniques. After that I just bought books and watched videos whenever I had a question.
  16. Great info from people above...
    Fly tying is mostly for self gratification and just another art hobby. If you look at it as tying to save money, then you might re-think your idea of tying. Not meant to shy you away from it though as I think it is fun.
    I would recommend to buy a small starter kit for a reasonable amount of money and see if you like it. No need to go out and buy all of the top dollar equipment right from the start. My first vise was a Thompson A vise I purchased for $20 and I still have that vise after tying for 25 plus years that still works great. I did buy a more expensive vise later on once I knew what I preferred and could afford.
    The materials will build over the course of tying also. There's a lot of great deals on assorted materials if you do your shopping around, as well as hooks. Make sure to try and support your local Flyshop whenever you can also. ;)
    There's also a myriad of tutorial videos on Utube to learn from.

Bottom line is to just have fun with it man....Good luck.
  17. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I just started tying last month. My wife got me a starter kit from Wapsi company. It came with a vise, tools, a book and a ton of decent materials. I think it cost about $80, so if I tie 30-40 flies I've paid for her "investment". Every time you go to the fly shop and get materials go home and tie enough flies to cover the cost of the materials that you just bought. Any flies you tie beyond that are free!
    You will find that some flies end up costing more because of the cost of the materials. Right now good hackle for basic dries and wooly buggers is expensive because of a fashion trend so I've been learning to tie flies that don't use that material.
  18. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    Another piece of advice I'll give for those starting out. Don't sit down and tie one or two flies of a pattern and then move to the next pattern, tied 10-15. I guarantee you'll see something you can improve with each fly, and by the time your through with them, you'll be able to see a difference between the first and the last.
    Switching between patterns will switch your focus to new unknowns, where as going with the same pattern will really help you to see progress
  19. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +341 / 0
    I've been tying for eight years and certainly have spent more on tools and materials than I would have just buying my flies at the shop. But as has already be said, it takes the sport/hobby to a new level. I love preparing for trips by researching what bugs I'll need and tying up a bunch . . .even if I end up needing to buy a few from a shop when I get there.
  20. Bad-Daddio Member

Granite Falls, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Hopefully it doesn't turn out for you like it has for me since I broke out my vise a couple weeks ago and started tying again. I get a lot of whispered comments from the women in my house "Oh, he's doing his 'man-crafts' again, how cute". I haven't been fishing since I started tying again so I haven't caught any fish, but I'm sure catching a lot of shit.