Sturgeon on the Fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, May 7, 2013.

1. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +828 / 1
    JayH, plaegreid, rory and 2 others like this.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +957 / 1
    Sight fishing for sturgeon sure is something.
  3. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Sturgeon are a pretty cool fish and one of the PNW icons. To my knowledge sturgeon is the only fish were the regulations require use of bait to be legal.

Curt
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +650 / 5
    Yeah, I was going to say that Curt. I have people who say I'm crazy that. Is it bait, or can it be just scent? Kept thinking scent was fine. But when I fish for them, I'm always using bait anyways. But they truly are a cool prehistoric looking fish.
  5. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 4
    That is awesome!
  6. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +314 / 1
    Wow. Wary Coo.
  7. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,535 / 0
    We've talked about sturgeon fishing with flies as a joke for years. It figures John would be involved. I've trout fished with John before he became MR CARP. He's invited me to go sight fishing with him for the giant, really ugly fish :p and maybe someday, I'll take him up on it.

BTW: John invented the very effective Wilted Spinach trout pattern.... I don't think it works for carp. ...or sturgeon.
  8. Van New Member

South of the Columbia
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    It was one of the coolest things i have seen while fishing. Thankfully the pics i took turned out well.
    GAT likes this.
  9. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +740 / 0
    Forget "unicorn fish", that things a friggin dinosaur.
  10. Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Too Cool! thanks for sharing leland
  11. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +336 / 0
    Cool story about sturgeon.
    In his book "Endless Season" Steve Probasco shares an episode of a fly caught sturgeon on the Naselle River.
    It stuck in my mind because the story, as he relates it is so unusual.
  12. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,535 / 0
    Some spin anglers say you can't legitimately catch a sturgeon with a fly because the fish depends on smell to locate food. I guess this experience contradicts that theory.
  13. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,600 / 2
    I kind of agree with that statement. I think that this experience (if the fly wasn't scented, as many carp anglers secretly do to their flies and don't talk about it) is a fluke and not something that would happen again. Sturgeon have very poor eyesight, and very keen sense of smell to go after their food.
  14. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Psssh. Just about every Columbia gear guide has seen a sturgeon take a Blue Fox spinner or a plug in the mouth at some point. They can be aggressive and will target moving food.

Besides. Who's to say my flies don't smell. My wife sure thinks I do.
  15. john montana New Member

Tualatin, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Haven't posted here on a very long time, just wanted to say hello. Van was there and took some great pictures. This was a crazy deal but for the record the fly David used was tied by me and absolutely had no scent on it. If it was a scented fly it wouldn't really be fly fishing. I doubt I ever see such a sight again, but it sure was cool to even be a small part of it. I am sure Van feels the same way.
  16. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,600 / 2
    Wasn't really trying to make any accusations, just said that it was a possibility. I know many carp fly guys, and a large majority of them scent their flies. Not everyone, but many do. Only reason I was making that connection.
  17. Josh Stroud Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    Looks pretty awesome, i'm sure it was a rush!
  18. suckegg Active Member

Ellensburg, WA,
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    I had a sturgeon come out of the water right in front(15') of my boat a couple years ago. It's head was easy 16>18" wide. Had it come down on the side of my boat I think I would have flipped into the drink. I went right over it and watched it swim into the depths. It was like something out of the movie Jaws and it felt like it was all in slow motion. Then.... 100' feet further another one did the same thing and this one was only 7' long or so. The first fish was a real monster. This was in a section of the Columbia where they are protected.