Sugar And Baking?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by dryflylarry, Mar 18, 2012.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    Ok. I'm a rookie baker/cook here. I just made some high calorie banana bread and, oh my, the smell is overwhelming as I wait for it to cool! So, my diet is toast right now doing crazy baking like this, but, how do you cut back on the sugar in such an item as banana bread, or, whatever? The recipe called for 1 cup, but it was suggested to cut back to 3/4 cup. But folks, that is a lot of sugar in my system!!!! Geesus! I suppose I could have cut it to 1/2 cup and it would be fine? Any cooks out there with advice besides avoiding the sweet stuff but a way to cut back on the sugar such as in this banana bread I am about to devour and still have it taste good? Do you just use "Equal" or such for this? (Rookie here!) Thanks pals.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +656 / 5
    I'll see if I can find my book. You can add honey and a few other more "natural" sugars that your body can process and handle better.
  3. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    Use either unrefind sugar like cane or even apple sauce
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +656 / 5
    NewTyer1, any cane, beet, and corn sugar (even in it's raw state) is tough on the body to break down. Natural sugars (like 100% fruit juices, honey, real maple syrup, etc) are "naturals". I know there are a few other ways to substitute, can't find the book I have that has all of it in it. Just know if you use honey or any juices, you subtract some of your "liquids" to compensate for baking. Do know with Honey you use a very small amount, since the sugar content is condensed.
  5. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +870 / 0
    Honey's also a natural antibacterial agent. That being said, I am to baking like the "black thumb" is to gardening.
  6. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    I solved the problem by swearing off baked goods with more than just a little sugar in them. I am looking to find a source of bread baked with only sprouted grains (preferably organic), and the absolute minimum of sugar.
    Just by cutting out the sugar and baked goods, I dropped most of my extra weight. Sometimes I will still eat that stuff in the morning for quick fuel before surfing or going for a long paddle, but rarely. If I ever cut out the micro-brews and the occasional chips and guac, I'd lose it all, I think.
  7. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    Jerry, thanks for the lowdown
  8. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +332 / 5
    Sugar of any kind is simply a crystalized carbohydrate. Doesn't really matter if its sucrose, glucose or lactose -- it's all carbs. That said, some carbs are processed more efficiently by your body than others. Stick to unprocessed sources of carbohydrates for best in-body processing. So cut out refined sugars and stick to whole grains and unprocessed fruit.

I'd recommend that rather than try to modify your existing recipe, you simply find some new ones. Lots of great resources available online.

Here's one i've tried and loved:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Whole-Wheat-Banana-Nut-Bread/Detail.aspx

But if you want to try to modify your existing recipes, here's some great on-line advice:

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/low-sugar-baking-tips.htm
    dryflylarry likes this.
  9. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    The best bread is made with but four ingredients: Flour, water, salt and yeast. The quality of the ingredients, the way you put them together, how long you let the dough develop and how it is baked determines what you will end up with. This simple aromatic and delicious formula is pretty damned healthy in it's raw form. After baking you can decide what you want to embellish it with depending on your taste. I like butter and sharp cheddar cheese with a glass of red wine, butter and honey for breakfast, butter and jam, peanut butter and jelly, dipped in egg for french toast, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with parmesan, salt and pepper, topped with tomatoes and grilled, and toasted with butter and cinnamon sugar. Not to mention high octane garlic bread done on the grill.

The sweet breads are a treat around Christmas but unless you are working on a perfectly spherical physique I would avoid them on a regular basis.

Ive