Suggestions for wet weather Jacket??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JasonG, Sep 12, 2013.

1. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

The fall is coming and my rain Jacket needs to be replaced. Im looking for a good waterproof well made rain jacket. I need a Jacket I can fish in aswell as hike snowshoe etc... Ive been looking at Simms and Sitka. Any suggestions would be great. I want to keep the price under $ 500 Thanks Jason

2. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
  3. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

4. Danielocean

Media:
    I have purchased a few of there clothing items and have noticed they really take the time with the stitching. I would say it is among the best in quality. I see no reason to pay a shit tone of cash for a Simms jacket I. The 400 range. If you take care of your shit it will take care of you. Simms certainly seems what is in right now though. I think Simms makes fantastic stuff too but I feel comfortable saying that there are plenty of people buying high dollar Simms gear because they want to make a fashion statement.

5. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I have had the the Orvis jacket that is on sale for several years. It has served me well during several Alaska trips, plus winters on the OP. in other words, a lot of rain! I've found it bullet proof. I also have a lighter weight Simms jacket and a wading jacket from LL Bean that is very light and what they call packable - meaning it folds up to about the size of a big paperback book. Frankly, all three are quality products that perform as advertised.

6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    It's your money spend it how you wish. Personally I consider my G3 jacket to be one of my most invaluable pieces of fly fishing equipment. I practically live in that thing. I've used many other wading and rain jackets, but as far as I'm concerned this will be the last one I ever own.

7. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I'm going into my 8th year with my Patagonia SST. Just gave it its first laundering and re-treatment with revivex. It wasn't leaking but seemed like something good to do. It looks better without the beer stains it got a few years back when it was in a driftboat storage box along with a few bottles that broke while driving over washboard in Montana. I expect several more years of wet weather outings with that coat.

8. i have orvis and patagonia and love them both

9. Ander

Ander New Member

Patagucci - Minimalist Jacket.

10. chief

chief Active Member

I would consider that most wading jackets are "purpose built" for fishing/wading. They are several inches shorter than a typical rain jacket and have watertight cuffs and a gathered waist so they seal out rain in conjunction with your waders. They aren't that great for hiking in the rain when they gather above your belt wearing normal clothes. The best all purpose jacket is probably a high quality waterproof breathable parka that extends past your hips which you can also wear for fishing except when deep wading. The Patagonia Minimalist mentioned above appears to be a good compromise as it is longer than a typical wading jacket. Or you could buy the Orvis jacket on sale for $200 and use the other $300 for a regular raincoat.

11. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

I was looking at the G3. Do think it is to short for using as a regular rain Jacket? Not just for fishing?

12. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    In short, yes. Its great when used with waders. Not so much if used just as a rain jacket over every day clothing. Its very much a fishing specific jacket.

13. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

Thanks for the info:)

14. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    Arcteryx makes top shelf bombproof gear and they are priced around the $500 range.

15. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

16. Danielocean

Media:
    Jealous indeed. Just spent money on a new reel. So can't afford that now. Oh well. I will just cut up a trash bag. Congrats.

17. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Nice buy on that orvis jacket. I know reds had a sweet simms jacket half off (similar to the orvis discount) but it wasn't as heavy duty... More like a light rain/windbreaker type.

18. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    You're going to want to buy anything with goretex pro shell.

I have the Patagonia Super Alpine jacket and it's a good one. I wear it fly fishing and also around town. I didn't want to buy a jacket that I could only wear fly fishing. Wearing a simms jacket to the office is kind of silly.

The proshell fabric is bombproof. I've stood waist deep in saltwater, downpours in winter, and summer rain storms. I like the fact that it's a great top layer and I can change up the base layers to have the perfect set-up for a ton of different conditions.

19. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    The second thing I'd mention is the hood set-up. Try a couple on and experiment with how the hood cinches up. One of the big reason I like the patagonia is that one that hood is locked in place I don't even notice it. When you're on the river and it's dropping buckets in the wind, you'd not going to want a loose fitting hood that ends up becoming a funnel for water going down your chest.

20. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I have an older Simms (Guide something maybe) and love it. But I've never read anything bad about Patagonia SSTs either. Lot of Orvis fans as well. Probably safe to stay with any of those.