Suggestions on pontoon boats needed

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Fly rod, Mar 3, 2002.

1. guest Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    That is the one I was trying to find. I thought that it was under $40.00. But what do I know.

I was reading what Piscator said about how to make one. It sounds easy. Now all I need is a small bike that no one wants. Maybe a few of these bike shops might let me have a junk bike for next to nothing, and I could make one. Jim S. :BIGSMILE
  2. fshflthnkng New Member

everett, wa, usa.
    HI,I have a dave scadden Expidetion d.l.s and love it.If your going in quick water i'd stay away from the "bannana"shaped hulls as they create more drag/but track straighter in lakes...welded seams add to durability as does the rubber/p.v.c. coating over the fabtic.Many boats also let you fasten the pontoons without straps running under the pontoons which is nice in rocky/low-water situations as yopu wont wear on the straps and there is no drag from them,i agree on the 7' oars/more leverage...Good luck and tight lines...FSHFLTHNKNG :THUMBSUP
  3. lotech joe New Member

Spokane Valley, WA, USA.
    Lotech Joe
    For what it's worth, I usually buy items at a budget price, depending on what that product will do, based on what I need. I wanted a one person pontoon boat that would carry my weight (300+) and be affordable, with the best guarantee. I went to Cabelas.com and found the Creek Company, ODC 816, Pontoon boat. It has 8 foot pontoons configured to carry up to 375 pounds. I bought it, it floats me like a cork, and it has a lifetime guarantee. To me, a warantee is like prepaid maintenance. It says, "This product is going to fail. Do you want to pay for the repair now, or when it happens"? Creek Co. says they guarantee their product for the life of the original purchaser. Regardless of what goes wrong with it. That tells me they are proud of what they sell, and they want to stay in business for the long haul. It comes with two piece oars, adjustable footrest, very comfortable seat, two arm rest storage pouches and a very efficient two-way pump. The sale price is only $325 plus shipping. The only drawback is, you have to build your own anchor. I use a canvas bag filled with rocks. It works very well. I hope this info help you with your decision. Check out cabelas.com, you'll like it if your a dreamer. :EEK
  4. Bob Bartlett New Member

North Bend, WA.
    bobbsea:

Great source for boats/equipment and information is Swiftwater, a shop on Fremont Ave. in Seattle, 206-547-3377. The owner, Dana, is a fly fisher and sells and rents Outcast pontoon boats. He certainly has his opinions, but he's got a wealth of experience and sells very good equipment at very fair prices!
  5. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +688 / 5
    Have been whitewatering for years. Started out with bucketboats, then moved up to catarafts in the mid 80's. Bought my first "pontoon boat" around 12 years ago because wanted something 1 man and small instead of my driftboat (only used my 16' cataraft for whitewatering).

Here's my thoughts. You said you want to hit moving water. Do you plan to actually hit upper water (say like the upper Green/Toutle/SolDuc) where you're hitting solid class III/IV?? Do you want to actually stand up and fish safely (not have a balancing act or a downright circus act)? If you only plan to float from point A to B or do the occasional quick flip of the rod in a pocket as you float by, then get an Outcast/Bucks. But if you really want to stand comfortably and safely and run hard water with a smaller boat easier, then buy a cataraft grade boat. I've rowed most older models out there (wasn't the Dave Scadden's, ODC's, and the likes when I moved out of the pontoon boats). I had a couple different Outcasts, top of the line for back then. They served their purpose. Got me from A to B and could do marginal fishing from them. But I wanted a small replacement of my driftboat, not an overgrown floattube. I moved up to a first addition Steelheader quite a few years ago. It is built on a continous curve hull, as opposed to a rocker hull. Is much more stable and tracks much better. Boat is heavier due to the whitewater grade frame (hence making it better to track in wind, but heavier if you want a lightweight boat). I've run that boat through solid class 4's (I had the 9' Steelheader). Would've felt safer in my 16', but I had enough experience on the sticks to be able to run it safely nonetheless. From the prices of top notch Outcasts, I'd HIGHLY suggest buying a Steelheader. You are gonna buy a boat built by a fisherman for fishermen. I'm currently in process of building a 1-2 man boat on 12' Steelheader tubes. So sold off my 9' Steelheader. The nice thing is, you can stand up and throw a fly rod (I even threw my spey rods) on my 9' Steelheader anchored in slots. No worry about tipping and was very stable (I never would've done that in my 8 or 9' Outcasts).

I'd also HIGHLY suggest a PFD. What you can do is for a REALLY cheap vest, Stearns makes a PFD class III rated that has a mesh top and bouyant bottom. I do Believe Cabela's has a knockoff identicle. It's all you need, and keeps upper body free to move the sticks. I think I paid $24 for my Stearns from Cabela's. I do have my class III/V rated vests, but that's for whitewatering only.

I hope some of this helped. Be safe, and start out light. You are unsure of a shoot, pull off and scout it first. Even if it's small. Next bend may hold a sweeper, and once you commit yourself in some situations you're stuck. I've done that once and almost killed me (I should've known better, but got comfortable and was young and stupid). Good luck, and have fun with these boats.

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.
  6. Gary B New Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    I have an alpine and I made a wheel for mine, I got a wheel of an old 16inch bike and some I don't remember the name but it is the tubethat wire goes in and made a bracket, as for attaching it, I take the back bar off of my alpine and the tube slide into the frame of the boat, after I get to the lake then I slide the wheel out and turn it over and it is out of the way and out of the water. If any body lives in the north end I would gladly meet with you to show you. It wheels like a wheel barrow. It was very cheap to make. Gary My number at work is 206 365 3000