Suiattle? Downey?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by raciere, Jun 10, 2002.

1. raciere

raciere New Member

anyone know the flows on the Suiattle river... or the Suiattle trib the Downey?

2. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Likely to be high and very colored with temps warming. The Suiattle system is very touchy to snowmelt.

3. raciere

raciere New Member

how about the bacon river??

4. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    What is the best access road for the Suiattle? I've never fished it, but guessing it's similar to the Cascade and White Chuck?

The Suiattle was very high and colored where it meets the Sauk on Saturday.

/NK

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I might be old---but I'm good.

I just seems that I get around. I have fished all of those places that you have mentioned. To get to Downey Creek You have to go up the Suattle river road. After you leave Darington headed north, you will cross the first bridge and instead of staying on the main road and turning just go straight ahead that is the road that you need. Just stay on that road and it will take you where you want to go and then some. You also have Buck Creek there and a few other ones.

Bacon creek has a road that follows it darn near all the way up. But if you plan on fishing these places. You will proably find them on the high side. If you need more info please holler. Jim

6. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the tips Jim! I've driven up the river road a ways and it seemed to get away from the river- how far along before you can access it? Is there another road on the south side? I'm guessing the Char population is strong like in the other Sauk tribs, how about summer run Steel? Any light you can shine from your wisdom appreciated :THUMBSUP

See you on the river!

/Rob

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

There is another road on the south side but you have access by going thru Darrington. I found it by just driving different places and looking at my map. You get on that road by taking that road to the left after you pass the Forest Rangers place. It goes past the saw mill,crosses the river on a skinny bridge. Just stay on that road for a few miles and you will come to a tee, go to the left and just follow the beaten path. Or the better traveled road. You will end up by the river or at least I have. Also there is a small creek that you will pass over(Dan Creek). I've heard there are a few fish in it also,but I've never tried it. Jim :THUMBSUP

P/S As I was thinking as I was reading another post is that I'm going up to the Stilly today to try my hand at the river. If I get thru soon enough I will check out the Suattle and see how it's flowing and let you know what it's color is. Jim S.

8. Preston

Preston Active Member

Keep in mind that although the Suiattle is open to fishing for Dolly Varden (probably actually Bull Trout in the Suiattle), its tributaries are not.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Well I see that my giving directions sucks. To get to the South side of the Suiattle,you have to turn to the right on the Sauk Parire rd. Before the Ranger Station. everything else holds true. At least I hope it does. HA HA :DUNNO

As for the river. It is really in good shape. Nice green color and shallower areas it is clear. Was going to fish it but after all that driving I got lazy. Went up as far as Buck Creek campground. Buck creek is really high and boiling.

Spent about 2 1/2 hours on the N/fork Stilly throwing some flies around got nice and tired. Saw no fish.

Jim S. :BIGSMILE

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

You can catch them,but you then have to release them. If I read this years regs right. Pg 57.

11. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Dollies tend to go up very high and into the upper tribs during summer pre spawn. I agree that many or most Skagit/Sauk "dollies" may be Bull Trout. Although it seems that the population of both is very healthy on that river based on my incidental catch and release. To bad we can't say the same for wild Steelhead. In any case they provide fine, and legal, sport in the Suiattle, Cascade and White Chuck (where the state record is from). Watch the regs and have a great time I say!

Hey Jim- what are you catching up on the Suiattle and care to share any spots?

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Like I said in the previous post. I have only fished there once. A couple of years ago when I went up there and found it clear so I tossed a spinner around but caught nothing. I have not tried fly fishing it yet.

Going there is just about as far as going to the upper Yakima. But the drive is nicer. If this weather keeps up that river will go to hell as the snow melt will hit in full force. I've seen it flow like wet cement in the middle of summer.

I'd go back today but don't want to drive that far so I'm going to stay closer to home. I think I will see how the S/fork Stilly looks like. Will try up high as the clay slide down by Gold Basin Camp ground will be really milking. Jim S.

13. Preston

Preston Active Member

As I understand it, the latest research indicates that the mainstem populations, both resident and anadromous, of the Skagit/Sauk drainage (including, of course the Suiattle) consist almost entirely of Bull Trout. The Dolly Varden populations seem to be restricted to the very upper reaches and to areas above impassable barriers. I'm not absolutely certain of this, but I think Downey Creek falls into the latter category. I fished it many years ago and got the impression that the lower part of the creek is a long series of waterfalls and cataracts before the angle eases off where the steep switchbacks end and the trail returns to streamside.

There is a note on page 56 of the WDFW 2002 regulations stating "ALL FRESHWATER AREAS are CLOSED to fishing for SALMON, DOLLY VARDEN/BULL TROUT and GRASS CARP unless listed as open." I interpret this to mean that targeting any of these species, except where the regulations specifically allow it, is illegal. This would certainly be the case for Downey Creek; when I fished it (that was before there were any restrictions on taking Dollies) that's all we caught. I would have thought there would have been at least a few cutthroat, but not so.

Many people seem to ignore this regulation, particularly where salmon are concerned. There were a number of very surprised people who received citations for targeting pink and chum salmon on the North Fork of the Stilly last year. And, of course, last year's ban on weighted flies on the Stilly was intended to prevent targeting (as well as snagging) chinook salmon.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Well at least I see two people that read these regs. I don't target Dollies but if I catch one it will sure go back into the water. I go out there for the fun of catching fish as I'm sure that most of these people on this site do, and then they(fish) go right back in.

After reading the Regs on the Suiattle river they say that you can keep Dollies/Bull trout. And if you catch them in the "tribs" and are not allowed to keep them then you have to release them. But due to not knowing whats out there you never know what you are going to catch.

We can read the regs but they contain some double talk. But between you and me I think that most people that are aware of the laws for fishing and some choose to ignore them. I think that is why I like fly fishing. You only seem to find friendly people doing this type of fishing.

Well I'll get off my soap box now and I think that I hear a river calling me. S/Fork here I come. Jim S. :BIGSMILE :BIGSMILE

15. pilchuck steelie

pilchuck steelie New Member

does anyone who fishes for dollies have suggestions for flies that would work for this species. smolt patterns or ...?

16. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

I've landed them on most wet flies or streamers but my favorite and most successful patterns are rabbit strip leeches or egg patterns. My favorite colors on the streamers are black, purple, or white (size 2 or 4). Fish the streamers across and down and dead drift the egg patterns.
    Randy

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Well it's me again. I went up the S/Fork Stilly but I didn't fish. My heart wasn't in it. I guess I was still tired from Tuesday. I was going to try to go over the Mountain Loop Hiway today but it is still closed due to snow on the road just passed Barlow Pass. You would think that they would plow it off but I guess there is no money for that.

I would like to get over that pass and get to the Sauk and the N/Fork of the Sauk and Sloan creek. It's too far to drive around thru Darrington when I can just go up over that pass(Barlow).

Jim S. :BIGSMILE

18. Preston

Preston Active Member

I don't think there was ever a time when the road over Barlow Pass was plowed. It's a gravel road and usually pretty rough from Barlow Pass to Monte Cristo Lake and beyond unless it's been recently graded. I used to spend quite a bit of time up that way, fishing and climbing. The Sauk and its forks, above the mouth of the Whitechuck are mostly clear and have some decent native cutthroat as well as Bull Trout and a very few native summer-run steelhead. I used to go to Goat Lake in the headwaters of Elliot Creek whenever I had a hankering for a big fish fry; it was full of 8-10 inch brookies. At one time a logging road was punched through to to within a mile-and-half of the lake with a large, gravelled parking lot at the end, then one of the bridges over Elliot Creek washed out and, so far as I know, has never been replaced.

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

I was up there a few years ago when they were working on that road to clean up some of the bad areas. One year they even went as far as oiling it. That was when they designated that area as the Henry M Jackson Wilderness area. You used to be able to drive all the way to Monte Cristo. But that was a looooong time ago. I guess I better shut up as I'm showing my age.

No.I like that area. You have Sloan Creek,North and South forks of the Sauk. Mountain goats. It's just pretty up there. Just an old man rambling on. Jim S. :THUMBSUP