NFR Suicide Awareness

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by William Wallace, Apr 23, 2013.

1. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

I sit here in tears for a close friend of my youngest daughter's friend who is in the hospital. He is 12 years old and attempted to commit suicide evening of April 15th.

12 years old, the same age as my daughter. They are the very best of friends.

I have been blessed that the family allows me to stand by their son's bedside during this time. The parents don't have anyone to for support, so I am blessed to be there for them. What I can say is their son has no brain activity at all, through all the tests up to today, there has been no change.

I guess what I am trying to type through all my tears is, please tell you kids you love them, give them a hug, talk to them and most of all LISTEN to them. Let them know they can come to you for anything no matter how small it is or what time of the day it is. This not only goes for the kids, but anyone of any age.

Sorry but I can't type anymore

Love is a wonderful thing and remember a smile, is contagious!

William

surfnsully and David Prutsman like this.
  2. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Ugh. My deepest sympathies.

K

3. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

They are fortunate to have you around during a horrible time.

4. William Wallace

Thank you guys for the thought.

They need every chance of hope.

5. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

My condolences on the near loss. Maybe when better a day in fly fishing is in order. Awum therapy and life long habit, does wonder's for some.

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

My thoughts and prayers to the family, to you and, especially your daughter.

MB

7. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Speechless...

8. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

William, the family is blessed to have such a friend as you. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

9. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Tragic. My condolences to you, your family, and the family of the youngster.

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Tragic. Good that you are in their lives. Take care.

11. William Wallace

Again thank you all.

Just got daughter from school, quick eat, finish home work, then pick up one of her friends, then to the hospital.

I will let him know many others are wishing the best for him.

William

12. My heart goes out to you and yours, William. Pay special attention to your daughter and her friends. History shows that suicide can be contagious among groups of young people, who share many of the same anxieties and fears.
    Dick

13. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Sorry to hear about that Will. I'm not sure what it was like when you were growing up, but in my generation, I found that people were more prone to self-mutilation/cutting, and now I find that kids are upping the ante and committing/attempting suicide.
    I'm not sure what is causing this pandemic to escalate and rise (though I do have my thoughts/ideas), but I feel strongly in everyone's part to help stop it.

Your kids are lucky to have you and I know you'll do your part in letting them know how much you love them. Not just your kids, but even adults need a hug sometimes.

I used to skateboard a lot when I was younger, and I remember a quote from one of my favourite pro's going like this:

'You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes, it's not tomorrow, it's now- and that's all you've got'.
    Tomorrow is never promised to anyone, so make sure you always tell the people you love that you do love them.

Thinking about you, WIll.

Jordan

14. William Wallace

Thank you all who have sent their kind words.

Yesterday did bring sad news, Jake passed away.

Went up to the hospital to visit and was with his father in the room. His health worsened throughout the night and while his father gave him a kiss on the forehead and holding one hand, I held the other. We spoke to Jake and told wonderful stories and then prayed. Shortly after our words, Jake passed.

The good news is, they have found three other children who need Jake's organs, they are finalizing tests but looks like a match, so he will be able to help another child and parents to live on.

This was so much great news for the family and I know Jake would want it. Such a wondeful boy that will always be in my heart and memories.

He loved the outdoors, so each time I go into the woods or wade the river, I know he will be with me. When I fall in the river I know it was him kicking my feet out from under me, for every big monster buck I see, he is going PSSST..PSSST..run deer, BRAVEHEART is coming.

William Wallace

15. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Sad news indeed. I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes we have to accept the unacceptable. I wish you love and comfort in your time of grief and loss.

16. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

this is a heartbreaker - our kids are supposed to outlive us and be happy and all that. The grief for this child's family must be enormous. I am so sad for them, for all concerned. :(

17. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Tragedy's like this serve us a constant reminder how important life is, to embrace every moment you have with the ones you love or care about instead of worrying about petty things when a friend or someone else is going through something much worse such as this.

William, my deepest heartfelt condolences go out to you, your family and their friends as you go through this very difficult time.

18. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Prayers for all sent. Jake lives on in others, and not just the organ recipients. The name Braveheart is well-chosen, William Wallace. Thanks for being there.