Summer Coho

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Nov 29, 2013.

1. I finally got a chance to upload some pictures from this summer.
    Special thanks to Wolverine, DimeBrite, SciGuy, Nick Clayton and mtskibum16 for the beach intel throughout the summer. Thanks also to DimeBrite for hosting Salmon Camp this summer. If things work out hopefully we can have two camps next summer.
    I got to meet and fish with board members Nailbender (Doug) and Matthew Gulbranson. Good meeting both of you.
    It was fun watching the dry side guys Troutrageous (Eric) and Blake Harmon put the hurt on some coho. Good luck in your new endeavor Eric.
    Fishing was good this past summer but not great. I didn't get to fish much early in the season due to home projects. I also avoided some of my favorite beaches due to the crazy crowds.
    Good numbers of fish hit the beach but nothing exceptionally large. I blew both my chances at two kings. Being able to catch coho well into October was a real bonus this year.
    Each year the cast of characters on the beaches change, but they never fail to entertain. The highlight was a guy yelling King! King! at the top of his lungs while a 5 lb humpy flew up onto the beach ;)
    I managed to squeeze in a nine day coho bender in mid September. Fishing was ok, but getting my neighbor into her first beach coho and src was great to see. Having only caught trout on flies the look on her face when she hooked up the coho was great.
    We are really lucky to have the big salt pond in our backyard. Only seven more months till the fun begins. Here are some pics from this past summer.
    SF
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Thanks for posting this Brian, always good to see how folks do during the sumer and fall.... Great pic's and looks like you had a fun time....

Stonefish likes this.
  3. Jelly!! I want to tag along next time! I used to hit that spot a bunch back in the day! Heck, used to live right there! :( But, even though I don't live out there anymore, I'd still hit it.

Stonefish likes this.
  4. Great post Brian! Thanks for the photo, lots of big fat coho on the beach

Stonefish likes this.
  5. Great photos and report Brian! I too had a fun season this year. Sometime toward the end of July, I decided to tie up some Miyawaki Poppers for coho. I said it before this year, but, I had a ball! I fished them exclusively all thru the month of August. I didn't land any large fish, but lost several in the 6-7 lb. range, but a decent number of 4-5 lbers. were eager to take the popper. I had so many "follows and bulges" behind my popper I was going nuts. It was such a kick. Lots of misses too, but probably my fault. I was gone trout fishing in Idaho in mid-September and am sure I missed some good action while gone. My last coho for the season was on October 30 but not on the popper. Seems the popper action slowed for me in September, or, I just wasn't lucky enough to find fish at the "time and place". I'm starting to think that the month of August is the "month for the popper", but that may be just a fluke dream. I'll have to see if I can prove it next year. Don't forget to try those "chartreuse and pink" Popsicle Sticks in small patterns for cutthroat! Nice report Brian!

DimeBrite and Stonefish like this.
  6. That very fat and heavily spotted silver in the second picture is quite something! Seems like the picture's missing something but I'm not quite sure what!! :p

Stonefish likes this.
  7. Thanks for a great recap of the year. I'm looking forward to next year. Got to get my strip set down.

Stonefish likes this.
  8. Great meeting and fishing with you on the beach this last summer Brian. Was fun to watch you put some hurtin' on those coho. I am now an official addict to beach coho fishing. I had given it a whirl in past years, but not giving it the attention I did this year. Can't wait until next summer!!

Stonefish likes this.
  9. A great report as always Brian, you had another memorable salmon season. That was a great series of photos, which really captures the joy of beach fly fishing for salmon on Puget Sound. I was there when Brian connected with that hot silver hen in the first photo, and here is the conclusion of that battle:
    Stonefish2.jpg
    Brian chooses to beach fish for salmon with a 6wt, so he is well matched with the salmon he is hooking and it takes more skill to land them. In late August he had an epic morning, hooking at least 10 silvers and landing most of them. One of them was the wild hen silver in photo-9 estimated over 8 pounds, which he released (wish I was there to see that one). His famous stinger Clouser style flies had the silvers dialed in all summer and fall.
    I agree that silver fishing in 2013 was good overall, but not great. It was actually very similar to 2012 for fish numbers and size range, but the rains came much earlier. I didn't get out much until August, but made up for lost time. Overall I went 26/57 on silvers (1 July; 34 August; 9 September; 13 October); my landing ratio sucked. Late August was amazing, September was mediocre due to the crappy weather, and this foggy October was my best ever. I only hooked one silver that was a screaming beast (an honest 9-10 pounds) lost after a huge jump, but did land a couple 7-8 pounders. For some reason I hooked only 3 pinks all season, they seemed to be hanging further off the beach than normal.
    It has been a real pleasure to fish with Brian and other like-minded fishermen mentioned above. Hooking and landing salmon is such a small part of it all. So much good information is exchanged about fly patterns, hot beaches, crowds, scouting of new beaches, equipment, weather, etc. Cleaning the beaches of trash and watching out for poachers is important too. Guys like Brian are also great teachers who have helped many "trout fishermen" break into the saltwater fishery (a tough transition). When I first bumped into Brian and Troutrageous at PNP in July 2011, I didn't realize how much it would affect my fishing. Before then I salmon fished alone and didn't share much with anybody. Now I find it hard to imagine a salmon season without seeing my friends on the beach.

10. Very nice Brian!

11. Great recap Brian. Thanks for sharing. It was a pleasure fishing with, and sharing Intel with all of you guys. If only i could get you to slow down your stripping.... You simply strip way too fast! Lol

Anyone looking to get into beach fishing or simply improve their skills would be wise to search through and read any of Brians posts on here. The man is a fountain of information and has shared so much of it. I know my success is directly related to his and Dimebrites tips. We are lucky to have such a fine resource on the forum.

I didn't fish around Brian much, but as many times as people mistook me for him on the beach I knew I was not far off lol

Stonefish likes this.
  12. I can sense the bromance! :D

13. I only caught one Coho of the beach this year and that was my first fly caught Coho. Maybe next year some of you can drag me along and teach me! :D

14. See you gents next season! Gonna pull for a few extra trips if I can manage.

DimeBrite, Nick Clayton and Stonefish like this.
  15. Great recap Brian, Tim, and Larry! Damn Tim, I guess I shouldn't have spent most of August mountain biking! Looks like that was the month to be out there! Rather I busted my butt in the crap that was September with not much to show for it (compared to the time spent)!

It was my second year beach fishing for salmon, and I attribute a large amount of my success to Brain and Tim who were both willing to help me out getting started. I actually put one or two more coho on the punch card than 2012, but I had to work much harder for them and spent countless hours on the beach. I lost way more fish this year (and some pigs at that) but I also learned a lot that will help me in future seasons. Overall my guess is that I lost 3-4 fish for every fish I put on the beach. The good news in that is it means that I was at least connecting with lots of fish! :D

Can't wait to see you all out there again next year. I'm already counting the days!

DimeBrite, dryflylarry and Stonefish like this.
  16. BTW Brian, that first pic is, IMHO, worthy of framing and hanging on the wall over the tying desk!!

I especially like the curve of the rod juxtaposed with the linear aspect of the distant land mass/fog bank and the corresponding arc of the mountain!

Very nice! :)

Stonefish likes this.
  17. Thanks Tim,
    Credit for that photo actually goes to another Tim aka DimeBrite.
    SF

18. Beach stoke from one of the masters! Come on coho!!!

Sawyer likes this.
  19. LOL sad that it's mid August and we have to pull up last year's threads for beach stoke.

Pat Lat likes this.
  20. Right!? Also trying to bury certain other threads. :)

Roger Stephens and emmccauley like this.