Summer/fall overnight backpacking trip for beginning FF

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by CK, Mar 27, 2010.

1. CK New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've been getting the itch to do some camping and fishing in the mountains. Unfortunately that's still months away, so I thought I'd post some pictures of an overnight backpacking trip to Moose Lake in the Grand Valley of Olympic NP. It's a good trip for someone new to flyfishing or anyone who wants to see some beautiful country and enjoy as many guilt-free trout as you can possibly eat.

The Grand Valley http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/grand-valley.htm is reached from the Obstruction Point trailhead (6100) feet, so the hike doesn't open up until mid-summer. Moose Lake is slightly more than four miles from the trailhead, and mostly downhill on the way in, through open country. You will need to get a campsite permit, available at the Wilderness Information Center in Port Angeles. That said, the weekend I was there (early September) there was no one else camping at Moose Lake.

There are really too many brook trout in Moose Lake, but this makes it a great destination for someone just learning to fish. The fish are hungry and will rocket towards just about any dry fly. Use a fly that floats well after repeatedly being lodged in fishes' mouths. And don't be concerned about keeping fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner -- NPS would love to see every single invasive trout fished out of the lake, however impossible that task would be. I carried a float tube in, but didn't need it (and regretted bringing it on the hike out).
  2. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 8
    Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing. It has been a long time since I have done a trip like that. I remember back-pack trips as a kid with dad where we had fish for breakfast and dinner. I am not sure I remember a better breakfast than pan-fried trout caught about 5 minutes before breakfast.
    Thanks for the reminder.
  3. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Brought back great memories for me, too. Thanks for the report.
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    I can appreciate the float tube there until it was time to hike that sucker out. Awesome place that I've hiked to before being a fly fisherman. You are motivating me to get out there and get back.
  5. ffb Resident Foo

Bellingham, WA
    Awesome thread, I've just started acquiring backpacking gear and this looks like a trip that I would truly enjoy. My girlfriend who is still learning would love it as well. Do either of the 2 other lakes or the connecting creeks have fish?
  6. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Brings back sweet memories.
    Fresh brookies for breakfast, doesn't get much better than that.
  7. CK New Member

Seattle, WA
    I don't know whether the lake above Moose has fish, but someone at the Park Service can probably tell you. Grand Lake has fish. I fished it for 20 minutes or so on the hike out and caught a smallish rainbow and a brookie or two.

From what I saw of them, the creeks between the lakes are little more than trickles during hiking season.