Summer run steelhead fishing on the Green - never hurts to ask...

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Dipsnort, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

I've never fished for summer runs. I've never FLY fished for steelhead at all. I would love to try it out on the Green and I have the appropriate equipment to do so. Who would like to take a summer run fly fishing rookie wanna-be to the Green one of these days? Anybody? :bawling

2. dheike

dheike New Member

Media:
    You mean the Green River trib. to the Toutle right? I am no expert by any regards but since I started flying for steelhead in January I have hooked 4 and landed two of them, I guess that is pretty good odds considering:dunno.

I do know the area and fish the SF Toutle so if you wanna get together I can show you what I know. You won't be overwhelmed with information from me as I don't have much to give, but I'm sure I can help.

Darrin><>

theheikes@msn.com

3. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

Thanks for the offer, Darrin - I appreciate it! :)

Actually, I was referring to THE Green River - the one famous for a lot of fisherpersons and not a lot of fish. I live in Auburn, so this river is very close to home for me.

My problem is that I'm so booked up on weekends that I'm going to have to go fishing after work (i.e. after 3 p.m.) or wait until at least a month from now. :rofl

4. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Go to Flaming Geyser, the water is friendlier there. Also 1/4 mile is a bridge before the entrance to Flaming is pretty good too, right under that small bridge. I caught my first Steelhead smoltz there.
    Good luck!

Peter ><>

Mark 12:30-31

5. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

Thanks for the tip Peter. I've been thinking of trying that area one day, so that's where I'll head out when I can find the time. :)

6. Peter Pancho

Media:
    Home Page:
    Summer run steelhead fishing on the Green - never h...

One thing to remember is to not leave your valuables in the car, there are ALOT of meth/homeless freaks there who will not hesitate to ambush an unattended fishermans vehicle. If you need to leave stuff in your car that you cannot take with you, try stuffing it in the engine under your hood, I believe that will be the last place they will look for goods. Good luck and be safe!

PS, if you want to increase your chances of hooking into Steel in the Green, try driving up to Palmer Kanasket State Park, there is a small Steelhead hatchery there, but real limited room for Flydudes, lots of gear guys though.

Peter ><>

Mark 12:30-31

7. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

I've learned my lesson about leaving valuables in a vehicle while you're fishing - not because it happened to me, but because I've heard so many stories! When I'm fishing (particularly the Green) I only take what I'm going to carry on my person. :thumb

I've never been up to that hatchery. Should I assume the fishing opportunities of which you speak are found immediately downstream from there? :dunno

8. Peter Pancho

Media:
    Home Page:

Palmer is what I believe the highest you can go in the Green.

Peter ><>