Summer Run Steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by GEMalone, Jun 3, 2007.

1. GEMalone

GEMalone New Member

Home Page:
    Headed to the Cowlitz on June 27, pulling plugs from a sled. As a newby I thought I'd throw my fly rod (9ft 6#) in the boat...will that work? What else do I need? What flies should I take? Other advice?

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Just a stupid comment first.... I don't think it's legal for you to pull plugs and have a fly rod for yourself. I'd double check the regs to make sure it's kosher.

Aside from that, if you plan on fishing from a boat, you should probably focus on some form of nymphing technique. Lots of folks do a stonefly/globug dropper and others use plastic beads and glue eggs. In addition general stones and other nymphs will probably work well too.

The only presentation thing you really need to make sure is one that focuses on a drag free drift... :)

Finally, you should probably take a look at Andy Simon's nymphing for steelhead article... Good place to start

-- Cheers
    -- James

3. GEMalone

GEMalone New Member

Home Page:
    Thanks James...any other advice?

4. James Mello

Media:
    Did you read Andy's article in the articles section of the site yet? If you have do you have any specific questions? :)

5. GEMalone

GEMalone New Member

Home Page:
    Yes I did...he says this about fly selection:

Are these the flies I should try?

6. James Mello

Media:
    You'll be fine with what's listed there. In general as long as you put something in front of a steelhead, they'll take it. Yarn eggs, copper johns, steelie stones, globugs, glue eggs, they all work. The hardest part is finding the fish and getting the fly there. If you're good with pulling plugs and identifying good steelhead holding water you should be fine. Once caveat though, you'll probably want to focus on the slower, shallower sides of the runs you fish with plugs. Otherwise, you won't be able to get the fly down for very long....

7. GEMalone

GEMalone New Member

Home Page:
    Thanks James...I'm gonna give it a try!

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Hmmm, I may have misunderstood. I think a six weight is a bit light for pulling plugs, but I'm not a plug expert. However, it will handle the flies that James mentioned, if that's what you're planning to do.

Sg

9. one eyed poacher

one eyed poacher New Member

F*** THAT! If your already engaged in the most indecent hardware, only skill with the helmsman, knuklehead winch fest (I've done it many times to good effect!), try to redeem yourself as a long rodder and swing a Sky Sunset In some of the rifflle water above Blue Creek.

I may often take a skunking but it's a noble skunking!

10. James Mello

Media:
    Somehow it always boils down to this, doesn't it??? :rolleyes: I wouldn't categorize pulling plugs as a knuckle headed endeavor more than I would any other type of fishing for steelhead. It's not my cup of tea, but there is some *REAL SERIOUS SKILL* for the oarsmen to get you into fish.... :)

11. sashjo

sashjo Member

People need to lighten up. It sounds to me like the guy wants to actually catch fish.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I was thinking that a 10 or 12wt would cast a plug better than a 6wt. I could be wrong, maybe he's using really small plugs.
    Hell I've been known to use a real fly on my fly while playing with my fly. Fly on!!!!!
    In with the good air, out with the bad air.

13. ihookem75

ihookem75 New Member

OK, a couple things, he never said he'd be using his fly rod for pulling plugs, he's using the rod as an extra when he is not pulling plugs. Second, why do people have to be such purists when it comes to fly fishing. Isn't the whole goal of fishing to have fun no matter what you use to catch fish, or not catch fish, I know I always have fun, fish or no fish, fly or gear. I guess I'm a "bi", I go both ways and both ways are fun. Everyone should try to learn a new method to catch fish.

14. ihookem75

ihookem75 New Member

Also a 6 wt. will handle a summer run just fine, it may take a little longer to get in, but it would be fun. You might want to try a black or olive wooly bugger down there, I've had a few accidental hook ups with steelies while pitching those for trout. Good luck.

15. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Quote: " you can use a six weight, it will take longer to get the fish, but it will be fun."

:beathead: :beathead: :beathead: YOU DON"T WANT TO TAKE LONGER TO GET THE FISH IN! THAT'S NOT FUN FOR THE FISH!

16. James Mello

Media:
    I think you missed a bit of tongue in cheek humor there :) Salmo's a pretty experience angler and knows what he was talking about :) Besides, if you *could* pull plugs with a fly rod, imagine what the take down would look like!

17. ihookem75

ihookem75 New Member

That is true, especially if there are natives around, but he said he was going to the cowlitz, that river is just a meat factory, so I assumed if he was fishing that river he would be keeping the fish. If he plans on releasing them by all means bring a bigger rod.

18. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I say use the 6 wt and have some fun. So what if it takes him a few extra minutes to land a fish? Most if not all of the summer runs on the Cowlitz are hatchery fish. Hell, he might even want to bonk one for dinner. The state plants them with the intent they'll be harvested. What a novel idea.
    Go fish and have fun, whether you are tossing bugs or pulling plugs.
    Brian

19. Mark Bové

Mark Bové Chasin tail

Media:
    Home Page:
    Quote: " you can use a six weight, it will take longer to get the fish, but it will be fun."
    QUOTE]

I recomend that you use what ever rod you want. You can beat a fish in no time with your six so long as you fish the right tippet and pressure the fish.

Have fun I hear the Cow is fishing great, Try a champain glue egg or swing something big and flufffy
    Mark

20. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    So you are saying, use a lighter rod and play the fish longer?.. It doesn't matter. Or you're saying use a 4wt and throw 15 LB. maxima on it and have at it. Good advice for people learning and lurking:thumb: